Is hanging guitars damaging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is hanging guitars damaging?

I know that weather and temp changes overtime can damage a guitar.Aside from indentions on the bottom of my headstock from the wallhanger,is there any other long term damage from hanging guitars on my wall?ive been seriously thinking about taking them down.
    "The cup floats pretty good till you get 2 or 3 people on it"~Vinnie Paul

Re: Is hanging guitars damaging?

Opinions vary but,I don't do it,just always feel better knowing they're safely in their cases!!

Comment

Hanging a guitar from a wall hanger is fine. There are people that leave them on hangers for years at a time and they are fine.

Matt

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Opinions vary but,I don't do it,just always feel better knowing they're safely in their cases!!

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

All the weight of the guitar is on the neck/headstock, it just feels dangerous

Comment

for the guitars that have a painted/finished neck and headstock, like my RR5, I wrap my wall hangers in soft cloth, because ive heard that the sticky/spongy material that hanger hooks are made of can damage your finish over time. other than that, I keep my guitars on the wall for long periods of time and I've never noticed anything happen to them.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            All the weight of the guitar is on the neck/headstock, it just feels dangerous

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion this point doesn't count, because the stress caused by the strings is more than 20 times higher than the stress caused by the weight of the guitar in a guitar hanger.
            I use guitar hangers for more than 15 years and had never any problems.

Comment

I have all of mine on wall hangers and never use a case unless I leave the house with one. I have always left mine outta cases and on stands, I put them on the wall to save some studio floor space. There are no ill affects. Hell 1/2 the places selling guitars have them on wall hangers by the neck.
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

No real issues, just as mentioned before. Sometimes if hung in one place for too long the finish will become discolored or marked a certain way do to the elements its exposed to and in contact with.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  . Hell 1/2 the places selling guitars have them on wall hangers by the neck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, actually it's probably more like 90% of guitars sold in shops are on hangers, and some have been hanging up forever with their overinflated prices!
                  "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Wall hangers rule. And if they damaged the guitars, you wouldn´t see something like 90% of the shops w/a showroom using them (and the Leprechaun would probably have a rant about it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

Comment

The rubber on a wall hanger (or stand for that matter) will only react with a nitro finish. With poly, there should be no reaction.

As a matter of fact, if a nitro guitar is sitting in the case for too long it can react with fur-lining.

My Hamer Chaparral has a nitro finish and the paint has reacted around the strap buttons with the strap. Of course this has happened over the course of 18 years and it's really not that noticeable...but it does happen.

Comment

I would never use these hangers.
                        They put Black spots on necks.
                        If not, the guitar will collect dust.
                        I always try to keep my guitars in the cases when I am not playing.
                        I use Guitar stand but that is when I need to rest or something but not too long.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I use Guitar stand but that is when I need to rest or something but not too long.

[/ QUOTE ]

"And introducing on lead guitar, Toru... the anal-retentive axe slinger." [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                          My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Hanging your guitar inhibits the weight balance between the trussrod and string tension and can effect your setup and intonation. I don't know of any long term serrius effects, but I do know it can through your setup a little out of wack (wich is easily fixed)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"And introducing on lead guitar, Toru... the anal-retentive axe slinger." [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                              [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]

Actually to be hoenst with you, I don't even have a guitar for me now and they are all packed away.
                              So I really don't need to even worry about hanging guitars or using stands... it's cool to play air guitars after all.
                              [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X