A little rant ... nothing major ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little rant ... nothing major ..

It’s funny how life evolves minute by minute, second by second every single day without a thought as to how our decisions and actions determine our paths. When we get out of bed it is my belief that every person sets out in search of having their best day possible. I don’t generally think people are of the mindset to start their day in hopes of making another person miserable, yet this seems to be a part of life on a daily basis.

On any given day these messages boards can see huge amounts of traffic like the busiest of freeways on any given workday. As we drive down these freeways we see things of interest and things we can do without. On any given freeway at any given time we could be minding our own business and through circumstance end up in a traffic altercation with someone who simply might not be driving the way we feel they should be. In many instances we might simply think “What an asshole” or may go out of our way to let “Mr Asshole” know exactly what we think of him. This in itself while seeming like a small thing alters the path of Mr Assholes day and he starts off in a different direction that he intended to start off in. When we decide to flip Mr Asshole off and let him know what we think we never are able to take into account why Mr Asshole is doing what he is.

Mr Asshole could be on his way back from the hospital after losing a loved one. Mr Asshole could be coming back from the doctor with a diagnosis of cancer. Mr Asshole could have just found Mrs Asshole in bed with Mr Dingleberry, Mr Assholes best friend. Or Mr Asshole could quite simply be just another Asshole…….

As an admin of a very large internet BB I can tell you I come to the board for many of the same reasons that most of you do. I set out to enjoy a passion that I’ve had for the last 27/28 years and be involved with people that share the same passion. The only difference is that on some days that passion becomes a job for whatever reason. When this happens it certainly takes me out of fun mode and puts me into admin mode…

It is very easy to setout on the JCF freeway looking to enjoy your passion but having a bad turn of events. Sometimes things can be posted and without realizing it, you over react and let people know how you feel. Suddenly your day turns down the wrong path and you become Mr Asshole. It’s always easy to be Mr Asshole behind a computer screen and fight with someone hiding through millions of miles of fiber optic cable, servers and software because it is so impersonal. Like the guy on the freeway, it’s easy to flip Mr Asshole off but not easy to add the human element to what might be someone else’s bad day …

As an Admin I think we tend to be the Mr Assholes of everyone’s bad day more than others, lets just say we are unintended targets. It’s easy to jump up and down about how your being wronged and your rights are being taken from you without understanding what got you there in the first place, After all none of us ever thinks we are Mr Asshole.

If we are truly a brotherhood within this community then we should be able to understand that people have bad days, that posts do not show human emotion, rules apply to everyone and most of all that we have enough decency to treat each other with respect. Not just an admin but every member of the community treating the other with decency because you never know what your brother is going through ..

Next time you decide to hit the enter key please think to yourselves whether or not your being Mr Asshole. Ask yourself if this post or email is the type that you wouldn’t mind receiving. Ask yourself if it falls within the guidelines of the community, and if it doesn’t don’t be up the authoritative figure who points out what you should have already known. After all is said and done…… it’s just a message board, there’s a lot more to life than that ….

Thanks
    Kevin
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Re: A little rant ... nothing major ..

Excellent post... really excellent post we need to take this to heart..
    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
    So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Great post, Kev [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

If on ALL sides of a given issue would realise this is not feeding the hungry, housing the homeless, or curing diseases - that it's just guitars - maybe they'd think twice about raising a stink about the petty trivialities that pop up.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

<font color="aqua">Not bad, Kev, I think that came out perfectly. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Great, that should be required reading before joining!

Comment

Well said, sir.
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Being an adminstrator of anything IS a job, whether or not you have fun with it is up to you. Having to deal with the other a-holes is just a part of moderating a forum.

As for being a big board though, this board wouldn't even be in the top 1000 at big-boards.com. This is a nice small community... one of the reasons why I've been coming here for years.

Even though we may have had our disagreements Kevin, keep up the good work and have a really nice day.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Great points: "Don't be an arsehole" is a mantra everyone, everywhere should have to use at all times.....
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

We love you Kev!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Should be required reading for everyone in life, not just on this forum.

Well done, Kev.

Comment

Great post and yes it does apply to everything in life. It's too bad that most people don't know or comprehend this.

Comment

Good post and although i agree with Kevin's comments, I'm yet to see a message board that survived without controversy, conflict, and for lack of a better word, assholiness. The only board that I've seen come close is David Coverdale's site which preaches "love and light." But alas, even those guys throw a right jab now and then.

I guess we can chalk it up to human nature or maybe we should just accept the fact that the assholiness factor is always going to be there. Without sounding like a nutswinger, I think the guys at JCF do a fine job. As adults, we all know when we step over the line and when we do, we should be adult enough to take a reprimand without resorting to assholiness. The End
                          "POOP"

Comment

Excellent advice, Kevin. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                            I agree with the sentiments that have already been posted, wholeheartedly. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Em

Comment

Nicely said. Funny how message boards are like a microcosm of real life but we should be civil in both. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X