Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lil' sis needs an axe for under $200 Help!!!??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lil' sis needs an axe for under $200 Help!!!??????

My little sister called me this evening and said she needed my help. At first I thought something was wrong, then she told me she was going to get a guitar! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Now first let me tell you that she absolutely loves Jacksons! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] The Bolted steel Warrior is her favorite, but she likes the other bodystyles and graphics too. She only has a budget of $200, so for now she just needs something decent and solid to learn on, and maybe down the road she can get her Warrior. I need opinions for the best guitars in that range, new or used. Thanks in advance! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

For all those concerned about the esp monopoly on the young guitar students of the world, take heart, my sister has informed me of several friends at her school who have and are very into Jackson guitars! [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] It may not seem like a big deal since it's a small rural high school(about 1500 students) but it's a start!

Charvel/Jackson forever! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Can you tell I'm pretty stoked!?! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Chris
    Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Re: Lil\' sis needs an axe for under $200 Help!!!??

how about a secondhand Warrior XT or MG?
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Re: Lil\' sis needs an axe for under $200 Help!!!??????

Chris, if she has $200 to begin with, How about looking for a used DK2?
      They are pretty cool and duncan designed pickups aren't that bad.
      Maybe it will go more than $200 but the cheapest I found was about $220 and it had Hot Rod Flame graphic on it and I loved it!

Or maybe used Charvels?
      Like Model 2?

Good luck!

Comment

yea, I was going to suggest one of the lower number Model series Charvels, but if her & all her friends into Jacksons, they may not appreciate the connection. I remember my dad giving me stuff when I was a kid "it's not a [brand x here] but it's made by the same company!!" I always appreciated the gift, but it's just not the same when you're a kid.
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Charvels are cool too! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] She likes all the flashy Bengals, HRFs, and Snakeskin Stars and Strats just as well as Jacksons. She has good tastes, huh!?! I've been scanning ebay, but about all of the model series guitars I've seen in the past couple of months have been ending out of her price range. A DK2 would be great too if any popup under $200.

Thanks Toru and G [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Your best Model series bet is a 1A. These are still going for pretty cheap. I picked mine up about 9 months ago for $125 off ebay.

I would also recomend something with a vintage trem or stop tail for a beginner. I ended up hating the Floyd on my first guitar. It wasn't until I knew what I was doing did I appreciate them.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

You can't really go wrong with a model series Charvel, they'll give you more bang for your buck than almost anything out there.

A Japanese made Performer series may also do, PS2s go for under $200 on ebay all the time. They're pretty decent guitars, just the stock pickups are weak.

Comment

Re: Lil\' sis needs an axe for under $200 Help!!!??????

[ QUOTE ]
                Chris, if she has $200 to begin with, How about looking for a used DK2?
                They are pretty cool and duncan designed pickups aren't that bad.
                Maybe it will go more than $200 but the cheapest I found was about $220 and it had Hot Rod Flame graphic on it and I loved it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I got my "new" DK2 for $285 + ship, although (needless to say) I saw cheaper ones right afterwards. Dooh!

Comment

definately try not to get a guitar with any kind of trem system. little kids just dont operate them correctly and have trouble keeping them in tune.

Comment

THIS THREAD IS USELESS W/OUT PICS - OF YOUR SISTER! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]
                    "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

This ones been up for a while.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...314728262&rd=1

Seems like a decent first guitar even though Im not a big fan of floyds for beginners. Just block it for her. And when she gets good enough, you can buy her a bar for it. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        This ones been up for a while.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...314728262&rd=1

Seems like a decent first guitar even though Im not a big fan of floyds for beginners. Just block it for her. And when she gets good enough, you can buy her a bar for it. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That one is Korean made, may not make a big difference but I think the Japanese made Performers are more desirable.

Actually I think a Floyd works well on a beginner's guitar IF the trem is blocked. Once it's tuned up and the strings are locked, a guitar with a locking trem will hold it's tuning very well. As long as there's someone around to help with string changes and the technical issues that sometimes come with a Floyd it should be fine.

Comment

I'm traveling out of town this weekend for a wedding. Just so happens that my favorite pawn shop is in the same town as the wedding. I'm planning on stopping in so I'll see what Jacksons they have and I'll let you know. They usually have a pretty good selection and are reasonably priced.

If I find anything in that price range, I'll take some pictures and get you the info.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            THIS THREAD IS USELESS W/OUT PICS - OF YOUR SISTER! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

She's 15, Ya perv! [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

I've seen a couple of PS2s on the bay, but they have been the MIK variety! I have a Japanese PS4 and it's a solid guitar, but I've heard bad things about the Korean Performers and kinda want to stay away from them if possible. A model 1a for $125 was a great price! I'll have to keep an eye out for those. I've wondered about the bridge type as well. A floyd may be too complicated for an inexperienced player, but I think the tuning stability can be a plus. I can take care of the set-up, string changes, and maintainence for her, but I would not rule out a vintage trem or fixed bridge. Thanks Johnny, let me know if you spot anything interesting.

She is coming over today and we're going to scan the net to see what's out there and try to spot something that catches her eye. I think a strat style would be better for her to learn on, but she seems more interested in pointy guitars. We all know what it's like to be young and want something cool! A Warrior XT or WRMG would be nice as G suggested, but it seems kind of a long shot to find one in decent shape within her budget.

Thanks for the help everyone! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Chris

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

THIS THREAD IS USELESS W/OUT PICS - OF YOUR SISTER!

[/ QUOTE ]
                              She's 15, Ya perv!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothin' wrong with that. I'm seventeen, that's not too far off! [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

How about a JS series? She could still get a warrior. granted, they're not the best, but for $200 what can be said? It's better than going squier. [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]

No puke emoticon? Dammit.

Comment

Working...
                              X