X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smelly case?

I bought a used case off of ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Needless to say it smells like piss on the inside.

Is this normal? What can clean out this smell? I left my guitar in it for an hour and the guitar came out smelling like piss.

What should I do?

Re: Smelly case?

Are there any cockroaches in it??

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    Occupy JCF

Comment

Fabreeze the hell out of it. Dude's cat might have taken a leak in it. Cats love guitar cases.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Actually, there are products that take the smell of cat urine out of fabrics. Fabreeze will only mask a portion of it. You'll need an enzyme cleaner. Most pet stores carry it.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

Cats love guitar cases! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Oxi-Clean, you can get it anywhere.
            MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

It probably wasn't a pet, it was probably the outgassing of the finish on the guitar that was stored in the case. If you sand down a few late 70s / early 80s guitars you'll eventually hit one that'll give off that smell as soon as the sandpaper hits the guitar's finish (e.g., my BC Rich Wave).
              Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I'm guessing it was a cat.

If I use too strong a cleaner, will it dis-color the fur?

Thanks,

Don

Comment

On all cleaners they tell you to test the cleaner on a normally hidden piece of fabric to test for color drain.
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

Don,

This may sound disgusting, but have you actually stuck your nose in the case and sniffed it out? Is there a place in the case where it smells extremely pungent as opposed to other spots in the case? If a cat marked there, I would just get rid of it -- return it. There is stuff out there called Nature's Miracle that is available at PetsMart, but I think that would destroy your case. It works well, but I would return the case. Urine is acidic, and might damage the finish on the guitar.

-Mark

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      There is stuff out there called Nature's Miracle that is available at PetsMart, but I think that would destroy your case. It works well, but I would return the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

How well does this stuff work? I'm actually dealing with a situation where my cat (about to be my ex-cat) sprayed on my furniture. I'm having a devil of a time getting it out. Maybe my nose is just too sensitive, but I've used a lot of these things and still I can't fully get rid of it.
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

Natures Miracle works pretty damn good. Just read the bottle before you use it. I seem to remember it being pretty strong stuff which they recommend thinning. It's been a while since I've had to use it (knock on wood). It worked fine on my dark blue couch without any color loss.

Comment

It works better than most stuff I have tried. You really have to soak the soiled area, though. I have used it on carpets. You'll obviously want to try it on an unseen area first to make sure that it doesn't discolor the sofa.

-Mark

Comment

The chainsaw cases smell REALLY bad if you let the case heat up, like sit in direct sunlight for a while. I had one that had no odor. It sat in front of the living room window, the next time I opened it, it had a really awful smell. Others have attributed it to the glue they used to hold the lining to the padding.
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Ohhh Man...Dont get me started on the cat thing..Freakin Felines. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Long story short: My buddy bought a Jackson back in 85 (I think it was 85). Trans top, Kahler, no inlays with a poop brown back & neck color. The front of the guitar got damaged, so we refinned it with "Vreeble" (crackle paint). He eventually sold it to me. I lived in a small starter home with my wife, a dog, and 2 stupid friggin cats.

I used to leave the case open on the floor when I practiced, and you guessed it, one of the cats helped themselfs to a nice cushy box. The worst part is, when I got done jamming...suspecting nothing, I put the guitar in the case, and closed the lid....not to open it back up for several days.

I tried everything I could find to get rid of the piss smell...nothing worked. The smell soaked into the guitar. So when you were playing it sitting down, you could really smell it...the smell was very bad. I sold the guitar cheap, and threatened to use the money to bury the cat. The funny thing is, I bought the guitar back almost 5 years later, and it still smelled.

We no longer have cats [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] and never will.
                              >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Working...
                              X