MIJ vs. USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIJ vs. USA

I'm new to the world of Charvel/Jackson. I've heard many good things about the MIJ Charvels and Jacksons. But are they as good as the U.S. Jacksons? Why or why not?

I was just told by my local luthier that "Jackson never really made that high-quality of a guitar." The ones I've played feel great to me.

Re: MIJ vs. USA

That's a hard one to answer because at least visually the Japanese ones can look as close to the USA models as Jackson wants them to, as seen in the old Rhoads professional neck-thru with sharkfins. Basically the USA models are hand-made in small batches while the imports are mass-produced by machines. This gives the USA models the advantage for subtle variations while the imports are more uniform; one immediate one is a much larger selection of finishes than on imports. The USA models are where the customs are also found, and you can have one made damn near any way you can think of, which is not possible with imports.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave-o:
      I was just told by my local luthier that "Jackson never really made that high-quality of a guitar." The ones I've played feel great to me.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Let me guess; he's an Ibanez dealer, right?
      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Yeah, that's really good advice, coming from a luthier. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

That's like saying that Gibson makes the very best guitars in the world. I've played quite a few that would make a Hondo look like a work of art.
        sigpic

Comment

Anyone that says Jackson never made (or DOESN'T make) that high quality of a guitar doesn't know what the f_ck they're talking about. The USA vs Japan issue is a stupid one in my book. You simply can't compare them. Japanese guitars are built for people like me. Utilitarian players who want certain features (neckthru and Duncans on higher end models.), don't neccesarily care about binding or inlays, and generally put functionality above form (to a point). They're also built for people that just can't afford the massive amounts of cash required for a USA. There's nothing inherently WRONG with imports except for the fact that they're not USA's.

USA's are mostly hand built (the necks and bodies are rough shaped on machines) from generally higher quality components. Fingerboards are usually ebony instead of rosewood. There are many little things that set a USA apart from an import. Mother of pearl logos, binding on almost everything (ugh), OFR's, higher quality electronics all around. You get what you pay for.

It is really tough to say if the imports are as good as USA's. I have an SL3 that I swear to the gods of rock and roll plays better than ANY USA Soloist I've ever held in my hands. Are the USA's higher quality? Undoubtedly. Higher quality enough to justify the higher price? Of course. Really the only way to tell what's good for you is to find a shop that has some Jacksons and start playing.

Comment

I love the imports and the USA series both. USA just has more features. infact i liked the dkmg over the sl-2. MIJ just isn't as fancy as USA imo. Both MIJ and USA have killer tone and are extrememly comftorable fr btoh shreddign and Rythm. I simply love jacksons.

Comment

Your local luthier wasn't a luthier if he says Jackson never really made a high-quality guitar. Any luthier with the skills to earn the title "luthier" (one who builds guitars) would recognize the quality in a USA Jackson, not to mention most of their import Professional line. Slam the X, MG, and JS series all day, I don't care, but the Pro and USA series are the be-all-end-all for Jackson IMO.
              With that said, the early 90 neckthrough Professional models are exact duplicates of their USA models of the same period.

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Sounds like MIJ and USA are both great. I played a DKMG(?) and liked it very much, but prefer the more tradional shark inlay and non-reverse headstock.

I was considering 3 models:

1. Charvel Model 6 (but I prefer hum-hum pickup configurations and it seems like most people don't like the Kahler)
                2. Jackson SL2H (I wish it came with EMGs...and was hoping for a cheaper high-quality alternative)
                2. Jackson DK1 (Perfect...except again, not cheap and I'm unsure of the bolt-on neck)

Tradtionally I prefer neck-thru and set-necks to bolt ons, but I'm uneducated with the addtition of the floating trem (I always used fixed bridges so it could be a different ballgame alltogether) I'd appreciate opinions on this as well.

Thanks to all. I'm new to this forum. Seems like a great place for info

P.S. what happened to Rob Lane's page?

Comment

yes the professional series gives you a whole lot more than you would think. i wanan see the warrior and a hum dinky added onto the pro series. Kahlers from what i hear are pretty damn good. they jsut dont have as wide of a tonal spectrum if im right ? id like to see schaller ofrs and more graphics for the pro line. it shouldnt be too hard to do graphics for the pro line. and i believe rob laens website is supposed to come back

Comment

You could try the SLSMG.

Two hum, neckthough, strings-thru, EMG, although no sharkfin.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with bolt-on compared to neck-thru. They can both have the same amount of sustain. Anyone that tells you a bolt-on is not as good as a neck-thru or set neck has no clue what they're talking about. Sure, the heel may be more cumbersome on the bolt-on in ease of reaching the higher frets, but anyone who knows how to play a guitar will know how to make his way around on both. There's plenty of people who prefer bolt-on necks to set or neck-thru. I have guitars with all three types of necks and don't have a problem with any.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with bolt-on compared to neck-thru. They can both have the same amount of sustain.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">VERY true! I built this guitar out of a Washburn body, a Charvette neck, and a Wilkinson trem and it has more sustain than my freaking Soloist! It's all up to build quality and setup. The fact that I use 13's in standard on that one helps, I'm sure... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well, if you played an import set up just the way you like it, then played a USA set up to another persons liking, you would probably go for the import. There is a certain MoJo and labor of love that goes into the USA's plus the fact that everything from the wood to the electronics is higher quality.

Matt

Comment

See, I'm of the opinion that MoJo is what you make of it. One man's trash is another's Number One.

[ January 18, 2003, 02:16 AM: Message edited by: Black Mariah ]

Comment

Working...
                              X