Charvel with kahler issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel with kahler issues

i have a kahler on my charvel and i seem to have a few issues.any posts will be appreciated.I was wondering how i can adjust the kahler since the back of my guitar does not have a open cavity for springs.whenever i tune down,it seems im getting nowhere.im used to adjusting the screws on the floyd rose models when i need to tweek the tension on the springs in back,which i cant seem to do on this kahler.i also need to find a arm for the kahler too.the one i have seems to stick up to far.also,on my gtr i have 3 coil splitters/taps?do these work for each pick up i have?are they like pickup selector switches?i dont even know if they work properly since ive never had a gtr thats had those.as long as ive been playing,this guitar has me stymied...plays awesome tho. [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]
    "The cup floats pretty good till you get 2 or 3 people on it"~Vinnie Paul

Re: Charvel with kahler issues

http://www.kahlerusa.com should be able to help you out.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

My undestanding is that the one down fall of the kalher is that the springs come from the factory as they come and the only way to really adjust the tension is to change out the springs. I understood that different springs where available back in the day but I am not sure about now (I went through the new site quick and nothing caught my I but that does not mean its not offers). That said, I have tuned as low as C# with a kalher and have not had any issues (other than the fact that I hate the way the strings "feel" which I think is more my dislike of detuned guitars then anything else since I insist upon using 9-42s).

As far as the bar goes, one of the 2 hole next to the place where the bar screws in contains a hex screw which you can turn to adjust the position of the "cam" relative to the base so that you can set the bar height once you get the trem set up the way you like it. Will require retuning just like floyd once you change the position of course.

I am by no means an expert (just a guy who got used to kalhers back in the day) and I know there a few guys around here who are and hopefuly they will chime.
      "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

wrong place for this thread!....try "tech q & a"

I'm playing Ron's advocate here! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

i agree.my bad.didnt notice that...

Comment

No sweat....just goofin' with ya!

It's common practice around here for bustin nOOb balls!
            Consider it a JCF "hazing" of sorts.

Welcome to the board man! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Bust those balls!
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

keep an eye on ebay for replacement springs, I bought a couple sets awhile ago, including one extra heavy set that work great, wish I had the link to guy I bought em from.
                I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

i was trying to tune to e flat but the tension keeps the tuning high.but again,ive never used a kahler.i hate to take all the strings off at once and risk messing up my innotation if i change the springs.trial and error i guess.and the thing is,i rarely use the bar.but its there if i need it.

Comment

The issue is... it's a Kahler! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Rip it out and put in a Floyd! LOL
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

sounds like you just need to back the set screw off a couple turns.
                      after checking my ebay history I discovered it was KahlerUSA I got those parts from. Thanx for the link Tim
                      I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        As far as the bar goes, one of the 2 hole next to the place where the bar screws in contains a hex screw which you can turn to adjust the position of the "cam" relative to the base so that you can set the bar height once you get the trem set up the way you like it. Will require retuning just like floyd once you change the position of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

That alan head screw actually adjusts the spring tension on the cam. It extends all the way through the cam block, and pushes on the sprin attatchment block, adding or removing tension from the springs. This is what makes the cam move forward or backward, with bar height being a side product (just like a Floyd) of string tension.

Comment

That makes sence and I was not sure as I am aware of factory replacement springs being available. Thanks for chiming in. As I said, not an expert.
                          "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

so there are springs under the bar...i wonder how much outta whack my innotoation would get if i took off the strings to investigate.i still dont know if the coil taps work.apparenty they do but i cant really tell a difference in the tone when i switch them.

Comment

Most likely that's an '86 Model Series, either a Model 4 if it's bolt-neck or a Model 6 if it's neck-through. If that's the case they are on-off switches for each pickup. Flip them all in one direction, then all in another. In one of those positions you should lose all output. Then you can flip each switch on individually to see if each switch works.
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X