Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rant on parting out guitars

Just a rant [img]/images/graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

A few weeks ago I sold a Charvel model series on ebay. It was one of the more rare models of the series, and it was in phenomenal condition, including upgraded electronics and pickups.

Shortly after the new owner got it, he said he loved it.

A few days later, he said he didn't like the bridge pickup any more, so swapped in a EMG.

Today, I see the entire guitar parted out on ebay. Based on the BIN's, the current owner is not going to get all of his money back.

This was a GREAT playing guitar, one of the best model series I've ever had the pleasure of owning. I now wish I had kept it, especially knowing it's current fate.

It breaks my heart to see these great - and undervalued, in my opinion - guitars parted out like this. Granted, it wasn't an early 80's San Dimas, but having actually owned one of those for a number of years, this particular guitar played and sounded damn close.

Anyone else feel bad when bad things happen to good Charvels?
    "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Re: Rant on parting out guitars

Yep, I don't like the parting-out thing either, at least, when they're historic, rare or very nice and old guitars.

I'll mostly sell my guitars to people I can more or less trust with them, it's like if you'd sell a puppy, you would sell it to someone who'd definitly take good care of it.

But whatcha gonna do about it? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I can understand parting out a POS or Low-end guitar like a Johnson or a MIM Strat, but anything above that I usually frown on [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I'll mostly sell my guitars to people I can more or less trust with them, it's like if you'd sell a puppy, you would sell it to someone who'd definitly take good care of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

...And you'd sell it to someone who wouldn't part out the puppy. [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...And you'd sell it to someone who wouldn't part out the puppy. [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
          ROFL [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't understand the sentence? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Most people just dont understand what they have.. and so they just do what they want.

Comment

I saved my Jackson from the chopping block. But it's nothing special, a new DK2 stamped "USED".

Yes, ebay is a chopping block for guitars.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I saved my Jackson from the chopping block. But it's nothing special, a new DK2 stamped "USED".

Yes, ebay is a chopping block for guitars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you get that one from music go round?

Comment

No, at least I don't think so.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7301484285

If you look in the bids, I beat out MetalMusic80's, a known chopper-upper.

Comment

I hate it when I see hard to find guitars modded in a irreversible way. There are nine billion guitars out there with some type of Floyd Rose trem. Why do you have to take one of three Kahler equipped guitars and slap a Floyd on it?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I hate it when I see hard to find guitars modded in a irreversible way. There are nine billion guitars out there with some type of Floyd Rose trem. Why do you have to take one of three Kahler equipped guitars and slap a Floyd on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

'Cause Kahlers suck? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          'Cause Kahlers suck? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Mike. [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img]

Comment

I think it is sad to see these guitars being parted out. But what can you do some people are just out to make a buck. The same goes with vintage cars and bikes.
                            Just one more guitar!

Comment

Then again, maybe he saw all those other guys on Ebay parting out Charvels and figured he'd try his luck [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

As for "saving one from the chopping block", until Jackson develops an Official Parts Line or puts bound and finned necks on every import model, people like MetalMusic80s are providing many of us with an inexpensive way to customize our own guitars.

But I guess that's a bad thing - God knows Charvel and Jackson weren't established on the idea of customization and personalization [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X