Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rant on parting out guitars

[ QUOTE ]

Oh really, then find me an original legit S-head SD or factory Floyded SD pointy for sale. Bet you can't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah.....Well we cant all agree on it, but at least we can agree that parting them out is better than farting them out............ [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img]

Comment

"With that being said I hate to see super clean unmodded guitars parted out. Like the white model 4 on ebay. It is super clean, that one would have made more being sold whole in my opinion."

Damm, I saw that one too when it first came out. I could have bought them both using BIN and had the whole guitar for $350 but thats too much for me right now. That thing is super clean, no? If it had a floyd it probably could have been sold whole for a good price. I just looked at it again, thats one of the cleanest things Ive seen on ebay in a while.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Oh really, then find me an original legit S-head SD or factory Floyded SD pointy for sale. Bet you can't.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Holdsworth, no less...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

There was a time when no one gave a second thought to modifying an old 70's Strat-- they were considered sub-par instruments that could only be improved upon with some thoughful upgrades. NOW, it is practically heresy to part out one of these "beloved" old vintage guitars (nevermind the fact that these guitars were parted out, period pieced back together when prices went up, part out again when prices dropped, and once again are being pieced together and now selling for thousands in [ha-ha..... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ] "mint" condition.

Save for the historical significance of early Charvels, the latter versions will see the same fate as these old Strats until they are eventually deemed valuable by a succeeding generation. Demand and greed.

As for trusting who you'll sell/trade and instrument to in the hopes of retrieving it some time in the future (or at least secure in the knowledge that that "puppy" is well cared for and not sold for its parts)-- well, the lure of big return in a quick flip is just too irresisitable for some people. I traded an '83 Gibson Heritage V for an '80 Charvel back in 1990-- the guy I knew (an instrument dealer) was looking for a V to play, and the next thing I know he flipped it. Granted, I got the better deal, but that V was no longer in local circulation.

Heck-- 80's Squiers are increasing in price.

A lot of my instruments are pretty old now-- some modified, some near mint. I cherry picked them all and could never sell these guitars knowing all too well that I'll never be able to replace them-- at best I could purchase vintage overpriced mimics that may pale in comparison.

That Charvel model had intrinsic value-- a great player is hard to replace (ask any older player about that old guitar he or she regrets having sold off years ago) . But many people just do not place that kind of value on instruments. Brand name and desirability is all that matters. Charvels are still on the cusp, but that may change.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            There was a time when no one gave a second thought to modifying an old 70's Strat-- they were considered sub-par instruments that could only be improved upon with some thoughful upgrades. NOW, it is practically heresy to part out one of these "beloved" old vintage guitars (nevermind the fact that these guitars were parted out, period pieced back together when prices went up, part out again when prices dropped, and once again are being pieced together and now selling for thousands in [ha-ha..... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ] "mint" condition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I bought a '71 strat in '89. It was all original and black. I put a PAF Pro in the bridge, had it refretted with jumbos and stripped the black paint and painted it white, changed the pickguard...everything. It was a $700 post-CBS strat with a big headstock..basically a pariah. Now, that guitar, if all original, would bring thousands. I tell you, it didn't sound that great...even after the mods. I had a Jap re-issue '57 that smoked its ass. I traded it, with the original parts, to a local collector...for an '82 silverburst Les Paul custom. That guitar was also a pariah, an "ugly" funky colored custom that nobody wanted. Seen the prices on THOSE lately?? [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] FWIW, that Les Paul was a screamer..a real sweet sounding LP.

I saw "The Last Waltz" last weekend. Hadn't seen it in years. Robbie Robertson was playing two Pre-CBS strats...both modded the same way. Hum in bridge, no middle P/U and stock single in neck. The guitars sounded nice too. Of course, today NOBODY would ever conceive of taking a router to a '50s Strat. But back in the '70s when you could buy them for $100 a pop, they were just guitars. I would buy a SD Charvel that had been modded with no problem...especially if the mods drove the price down. I am not an originality nut, I just want the guitar to play well and sound well.

Mike
            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A Holdsworth, no less...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. Perfct example of what I am saying. While the general consensis is that that guitar may be legit, the neck and headstock look way too clean and it passed thru the hands of a certain someone whose morals are suspect.
              "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Yep, I bought a '71 strat in '89. It was all original and black. I put a PAF Pro in the bridge, had it refretted with jumbos and stripped the black paint and painted it white, changed the pickguard...everything. It was a $700 post-CBS strat with a big headstock..basically a pariah. Now, that guitar, if all original, would bring thousands. I tell you, it didn't sound that great...even after the mods. I had a Jap re-issue '57 that smoked its ass. I traded it, with the original parts, to a local collector...for an '82 silverburst Les Paul custom. That guitar was also a pariah, an "ugly" funky colored custom that nobody wanted. Seen the prices on THOSE lately?? [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] FWIW, that Les Paul was a screamer..a real sweet sounding LP.

I saw "The Last Waltz" last weekend. Hadn't seen it in years. Robbie Robertson was playing two Pre-CBS strats...both modded the same way. Hum in bridge, no middle P/U and stock single in neck. The guitars sounded nice too. Of course, today NOBODY would ever conceive of taking a router to a '50s Strat. But back in the '70s when you could buy them for $100 a pop, they were just guitars. I would buy a SD Charvel that had been modded with no problem...especially if the mods drove the price down. I am not an originality nut, I just want the guitar to play well and sound well.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

$100 for a 50's Strat? No one wanted them....increase the price, sprinkle on some hype, and everyone suddenly needs one because everyone else wants one.

I modded my old '74 and '79 Strats back when you could pick them up for about $300 in the late 80's-- just before Stratmania struck (granted, they were already modded when I bought them-- and then I modded them some more [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] .)

It should be interesting to see what happens to these new investments years down the road when the only people who would buy them have their own pricey vintage guitars that they want to unload. Seriously, will every guitar over five years old be deemed a vintage guitar that will just increase in value? So what makes those old Pauls and Strats so special then?

Comment

All you playing Devil's advocate ignore the fact that nobody here is claiming parting out a guitar is illegal..of course you have the right to do what you want with your own property and assuming that is the argument is very condesending.. the point of the thread is that some people are saying it saddens them that some people have no sense of history or honor. It is the same greed that has put certain species on the brink of extinction,etc etc. I wish everyone respected things for more than their profit but of course that will never happen.

Comment

Working...
                  X