Jake E. Lee fret question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake E. Lee fret question

I know Jake's ESP signature model had jumbo frets for 1-12 and medium for 13-22. Did his Charvels or Fender/Charvel also get modified for frets like this? Just curious. Also, why would one have two different sized frets?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Jake E. Lee fret question

doubt it ..those newer necks are short scale too
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Oh, yeah, the ESPs were short scale. Interesting. Wonder why he chose two different fret sizes, though.

Comment

I dunno - seems to me the action on the higher frets would be much higher than on the lower frets compared to if he had jumbos on the higher frets as well.

Maybe he liked the higher action up there? Less chance of buzz and oscillation from the adjacent frets.

As well, it's possible that he wanted the Jumbos higher up because they would be more resistant to denting, and it'd be easier to dress them (i.e. file them down to Mediums) over the years.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I am amzaed that any fret leveling could be done properly with that combination. I have built around 40 or so guitars in my life time. Not a whole lot. But have refretted a lot more. It would require tapering from the heighth of the first jumbo fret to the heighth of the smaller crowned 22nd fret. What a strange request. How is the action on that kind of set up. THere would have to sufficient bow in the 12ft area to counter the buzz he would get at the twelth fret. What a fret dressing nightmare. That baffles the hell out of me.

Mike
          Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
          http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I dunno - seems to me the action on the higher frets would be much higher than on the lower frets compared to if he had jumbos on the higher frets as well.

Maybe he liked the higher action up there? Less chance of buzz and oscillation from the adjacent frets.

As well, it's possible that he wanted the Jumbos higher up because they would be more resistant to denting, and it'd be easier to dress them (i.e. file them down to Mediums) over the years.

[/ QUOTE ]

if memory serves correctly, the higher frets are the narrow wire. the action wouldn't be higher or lower anywhere (except in the middle, if jake liked relief) - if the tall skinny frets were higher than the jumbo frets, one area would play while the other section would fret out.

never having done a fret level on a neck like that, but dunlop 6100 frets (big, fat bastards - gotta love em) are .55 tall. 6105 (narrow and tall) are .47 tall. certainly a difference, but the 6105s would be lowered to match the 6100s, and you level from there. again, i've only levelled frets that were all consistent, but i can't imagine it'd be too rough.

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

That makes a little more sense, Sully.

Comment

that's kinda what i'm thinkin; when you have a high fret on a guitar, you either try to reseat it, or level it down to match the others. this should be no different.

sully
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The whole idea behind his esp signature series was to combine his two favorite guitars in one package.
                  He loved his White SG, which has a short scale neck with thin fret wire. He also loved white fender with the jumbo frets. So he combined the two to make a shortscale strat. Sully is correct about the fret wire placement.The smaller frets for soloing and the jumbo frets for rhythm.

Ithink towards the end of his time with ESP, he abbandoned the two sizes. The one i own that was made for and owned by him has jumbo's throughout. The neck i had that came off his black w/white PG had the two sizes.

Comment

AFAIK he's still with esp ...just not overly active
                    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Yeah, in the cd insert for his Retraced cd(out on shrapnel records, go buy it) he has a vipor and a semi hollow body ESP's. He lost his endorsement a few years ago when he dropped out of the scene.It wasnt until Varney got him out of retirement that he got hooked up with ESP again. So i was partially telling the truth about "the end" of his time with them. I was referring to the first time.

You guys gotta get the new cd, he smokes and even though its covers, he makes em sound like they were badlands songs.

Comment

I had 2 Jake owned guitars in the past back in 1990 or 1991.
                        1 was White Jackson Strathead with Maple board, another one was See Thru Blonde ESP custom made Strat for Jake.

The Jackson Strat had jumbo frets and didn;t have smaller frets on higher frets like ESP had.
                        The ESP guitar did have smaller frets on higher frets.
                        So I think he started doing that when he switched to ESP.

Strange part of having smaller frets on higher fretboard is you will never be able to get the string action low on the higher frets because of the jumbo frets on lower position.
                        So you will end up with high action on higher position.

Comment

I doubt that Jake ever "Lost" his endorsement. Matt@ESP is beyond cool when it comes to inactivity. Take it from me,I Know, and I never played with Ozzy.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Strange part of having smaller frets on higher fretboard is you will never be able to get the string action low on the higher frets because of the jumbo frets on lower position.
                            So you will end up with high action on higher position.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's so weird. it makes no sense because in order for the guitar to play at all, the frets would have to be level. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I doubt that Jake ever "Lost" his endorsement. Matt@ESP is beyond cool when it comes to inactivity. Take it from me,I Know, and I never played with Ozzy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, i will take it from you [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

He hasnt been on the endorsement list for several years, take it for what its worth.

Comment

Working...
                              X