Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jake E. Lee fret question

[ QUOTE ]
    that's so weird. it makes no sense because in order for the guitar to play at all, the frets would have to be level. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Naaa, you can get away with this as long as the frets higher up are shorter. My EC-36 has jumbos from 1-24 and narrower and very slightly shorter the rest of the way up. I'd guess that's probably an artifact of a refret from 1-24 at some point in the past but it plays fine and no more time than I spent past the 24th fret I hardly notice it.

It'd be obnoxious if the shorter frets started at mid-neck but if they're just up near the end I wouldn't think it'd be a big deal. Heck, you might even be able to dial in lower action in the lower frets because you'll never buzz on the high ones though it'd be a nightmare for the guy doing the fretwork (a couple local ones flatly refused to fix a high fret on my EC-36 after taking a look at it).
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I'm tired of working today I might as well shoot a few shots in case anyone's curious. Please excuse the crud on the fretboard, this one is in dire need of a serious cleanup (and probably a refret) and macro digital photos don't exactly hide the crud & imperfections.

Here's the last bit of the fretboard:

Here's a side shot with the 24th fret on the far left. It'd be a bit more dramatic but juggling the camera, guitar, & case in the little patch of sunlight I had made it tough to even get a shot:

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

yep, what you're describing is called "fallaway." when you do a level, you add a bit of fallaway up at the end of the fretboard.

man, i haven't seen one of those things in a long, long, long, time!

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
        X