Probably "downgrading" my guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably "downgrading" my guitar

So here's the story. I have a mint 01 XTRR that I really like, but I want to get rid of it for practical reasons. I'm going back to school and will be living in a frat house w/ 2 roommates. I'll probably be dragging my guitar all over campus very frequently, and a mint XTRR in its huge case just seems like a bad idea to me. For one the case is way too big and heavy to carry around and I'm afraid I'll beat the hell out of the guitar.

The other concern is I will need to have a backup assuming I end up playing some shows, and I can't afford a 2nd guitar (at least one that's worth playing) without selling this one. I'm having a hard time deciding what to buy. Some things I'm thinking of:

2x old Soloist Pro's if I need schaller floyd
    2x SLSMG if I decide I can live without the floyd
    2x DXMG if I can't but can deal with jt580
    1x SL1/SL2H and 1x DX10D or something else cheap for backup

I guess my main 2 questions would be: Is it better (obviously subjective) to go for 2 mid-priced guitars or 1 higher-priced and 1 cheap for backup?

and also subjective, but less so: Is a jt580 that much different from an OFR/schaller?

Re: Probably \"downgrading\" my guitar

I would get one main player and a decent backup.

EJ

Comment

I'd go for 2 Soloist Pros - quality guitars that you don't need to worry about....
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Good call. RR0944 & RR1441 did the whole college / frat house / bar / studio / college party scene with me back in the day and both came out a bit worse for the experience. Not beat to Hell but if you care about not banging that XTRR up a bit definitely think about picking up something else to take to school with you.

It's said so often that it's redundant here but the old Charvel Model series guitars are killer players for the price; you have a reasonable list there but you could probably pick up a pair of neckthrough Model 5/5A/6s and change out the pups to your taste for what the XTRR is going to command ... and still have money left over for beer. The 5A & 6 I used to own were as good as if not better than many USA Jacksons I've run across.

Personally I think the JT-580s are very decent trems. The only ones I really dislike are the JT6s but you can normally drop an OFR in if you can't tolerate those.

As far as guitars go I'd buy two decent players that are very different from each other, I wouldn't buy two of anything unless you specifically will be playing out and want an identical axe handy at your gigs. Personally I'd enjoy having two very different axes with very different sounds and would live with the conseuqences if I had to switch from one to the other during a gig for some reason. Odds are if you play out you'll be playing bars & frat parties and variations in tone from one guitar to another just aren't going to really be an issue in those venues.
        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I´ve never been a fan of the JT580. I´ve had my fair share of them, and I´ve found that they´re OK for a couple of years but start to wear down pretty fast around the knife edges. As of now, I only use Schaller/Jackson Floyds and OFR:s. However, if you´re a moderate trem-user the JT580´s probably will hold up much longer.

Comment

I'd go for 2 GMPs while cheaper.
            [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Wait, you want Jackson..

I'd say 1 x USA SL2H and 1 x DK2 as backup.

Comment

I'd go

1x SL Pro
              1x Custom eighties Pointy.
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I'd go for the 2x Soloist Pro option... quality wise it's like you got two SL1's, what more can you ask? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

I'd say the first one as well, for the same reasons mentioned above

Harrald

Comment

I'd get a couple Model series like Brad said.
                    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

How about an usa soloist and a model/toothpaste charvel?

Comment

That's quite anti-efficient, rocksoldier.

A good model series will be on the same level as a USA. Heck, with the recent stories around here, I'd believe a good model series is even better than a recent USA.
                        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

The 2 x Soloist Pro option makes sense. It really is just a matter of personal preference. You need to decide what features you can and can't live without.
                          Good deals with:
                          Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

I sold some guitars once, and regret it now. In your situation I'd get a custom, smaller case for the XTRR and not worry about a backup.
                            please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

I went with a Soloist Pro for my main gigging guitar, and a Dinky XL Pro for backup. I was able to get a deal on the Dinky, already upgraded with Duncans and a Schaller.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X