THE best metal pup/pup config.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE best metal pup/pup config.

i'll be doing some pup swaps in an axe or two, and since there are so many pups out there and i haven't heard/played them all i ask you, the forum, this. hands down, what is THE best overall metal pup/pup configuration? i've already gotten some good advice from a couple of you, but i would like to hear everyones thoughts and opinions before i start shelling out the dough. the first victim will most likely be my wrmg, so i've also got the afterburner in it...? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    Hear the universe scream
    Bleeding from black holes
    Whom horns careless
    And whom God mourns

Re: THE best metal pup/pup config.

I like
    JB/59.
    For something more metal,
    Distortion in the bridge and 59 or Jazz in the neck position.

Comment

81/85 is what I use generally (or 81/81 or 81/60 is cool too).
      "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I've always been a fan of letting the amp do some of the work, so I prefer Duncan 59 or Jeff Beck, with a coil tap in the bridge and a hot single coil in the neck position. I dig the
        Phil Colin Archtop configuration.
        Mike
        Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
        http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

This is largely based on personal preference for sure...Pick-ups change the sound of a guitar, but maybe not as much as we would hope...Different for sure, but not radical...Kind-of like the way Compression or a Chorus on really low settings changes your sound...Different, but not earth-changing.
          Anyways, I have used the Invader, Super Distortion, Dimarzio PAF, EMG 81 and the JB..
          I usually have a '59 in neck position..

I have a SD Custom coming soon from the factory. From what I have read on this board, it is a favorite..

So far, for metal I also like the EMG 81..Not as "warm", but high-gain out the wazhoo!

Dan

Comment

I have 81/85 in my KV and Jb/Jazz in my RR and they both sound great. The Distortion and the Invader are also great bridge pickups for metal.

Comment

I like the Bill Lawrence L500XL, but if you're not a disliker of the DiMarzios, the Evolution is a damn hot pick up.

Comment

The Demon sounds great in a Mohogany guitar, but I have been told that it doesnt sound as good in alder or poplar, Inazone said "Screaming my ass"
                I have a PC1 with the Super 3 in the bridge and it is great, but I think the JB and the Duncan Distortion have the best metal sound. I also have to say, I have no experience with EMG's.. So I dont know if a 81 would sound better, I know the HZ sounded pretty weak..
                Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

The Screamin' Demon is more like the "Purring Kitten". It's not high output... made to be used in a very high gain amp. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

My choice of best metal pups:
                  DiMarzio X2N or Super Distortion with a Super 2 in the neck.
                  EMG 85 bridge with either an 81 or 60 in the neck. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Emg 89 for active ( it has a 85 &a SA in one cover) and X2N over the top drive. I wouldn't use a X2N with a combo or open back cabinet speaker movment is extreme.

Comment

In a H/S/S config, I like a JB in the bridge, Classic Stack or Duckbucker in the middle and a Hot Rails in the neck. This way, you have a great, well-rounder bridge pick-up for any style, in the middle, you have your nice clean or quack strat tone and in the neck, you have a higher output oick-up for runs etc. This config has always worked for me. The only problem is the middle pick-up is not as hot as the others, so you might have to boost your clean channel to compensate for volume differences. In a H/H config, I like a JB, Distortion, Tones Zone etc. in the bridge and 59', Jazz or PAF Pro in the neck.
                      Good deals with:
                      Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

85 in the bridge, and who gives a flying F in any other position. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

DiMarzio Evolution (singing, lotsa gain, very touch responsive)
                          EMG 81 or 85 (81 is more biting, 85 is more crushing)
                          Seymour Duncan Custom Custom (early VH tone)

Comment

I dig my Tone Zone. I also like PAF Pros as well as JB or '59s. Neck, I like a mellow S/C or a mellow stacker like a little JB or little '59.

Mike
                            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I like the Bill Lawrence L500XL, but if you're not a disliker of the DiMarzios, the Evolution is a damn hot pick up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes,
                              you are correct. They do totally rock. I forgot how much I dug them.

Mike
                              Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                              http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Working...
                              X