Mini NAMM 2003 Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini NAMM 2003 Report

Somewhat short review here...I'll try to post pics soon.

Who did I meet? Charlie Benante, Mike Chlasciak, Alex Skolnick, Mark Wood, Kerry King, John Petrucci, Steve DiGiorgio, Christopher Guest (Nigel Tufnel), Michael Angelo, Buckethead.

Who did I see walking around? Bobby Blotzer, Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley, Vernon Reid, Doug Wimbish, Blues Saraceno, Steve Vai, Dimebag Darrel, Coolio (yes, Coolio)...

Who did I film PERFORMING in front of me on video? TSO featuring Alex Skolnick, Mike Chlasciak, Michael Angelo. All really cool people.

What guitars did I play? Jackson, Fender, BC Rich, Empire, Dean, ESP...

My favorite guitars were Jackson, Dean, Empire (the lowest action on earth), and BC Rich. ESP's look outstanding but I didn't like the feel of any of them...not my style of neck and they all seemed to be strung with thick ass strings. The Ibanez neck thrus were pretty sweet too.

What amps did I play? Bogner, VHT, Diezel (Peter Diezel is way cool)... I gotta say, wasn't too crazy about the Bogner and VHTs but the Diezels were freakin amazing.

Did I mention Ed Roman is the Grimace?

Re: Mini NAMM 2003 Report

I SERIOUSLY have GOT TO MAKE IT to the next one!!!!!

Comment

Cool! How was Kerry? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It would be cool if you could upload the video of Michael Angelo playing! I really would like to see that! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Anders
      https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Cool! Man. I would love to see a really good close up pic of the back of Kerry King's head! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] His tattoo's are amazing! He looks just too brutal! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Anders
        https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Obviously, I love Lynch (note the screen name) but he is very UN-personable when he does clinics and meet and greets. The first time I meet him I thought he was an ass but years later I got to spend some time with him and he is really a good guy. I'm not a close friend of his and he knows me just well enough to know my name but I think he finds it odd when you approach him and you know all these facts about his life and he has never meet you. I also think that unfortunately he is not very proud of his Dokken past and in fact continually tries to escape it but for financial reasons he can not. I remember after he left Dokken the first time he said " I would rather die then be 40 with a beer belly playing into the fire on stage" - and now he is in the studio re-recording this tune and "Tooth and nail" among others with a new singer.

Comment

I'm working on how to post my video clips. I can digitize them, but it might take a few days and I don't have ton of room on my web site so I might have to post clips weekly or something like that.

Kerry's head is coming shortly...

Comment

venom - please let me know who buckethead is.

many thanks.

Comment

http://www.jcfonline.com/cgi-bin/ult...c;f=1;t=000086

and see my other post in this form for links to pics of him.

Comment

As far as Lynch goes, I understand being wierded out by total strangers coming up to you asking about personal crap that happened during the Reagan administration, but guitar ?'s at a clinic? - c'mon. I mean what has this guy done since his solo album in '93? Nothing. Everything he's put out over the last 10 years is weak - and that's being nice. Great player, but the guys gonna be 50 next year. Start doing what you do best as get over the fact that 80% of everything Dokken did sucked. He could have bailed years earlier. Next time he should stay home and craft yet another new hairdo.

Comment

Like the balding one Eddie is sporting? lol
                    We must!
                    We must!
                    We must increase the bust!
                    The bigger the better!
                    The tighter the sweater!
                    The boys are counting on us!

Comment

In all fairness Solo, the man did go through kemo not too long ago... But I did see him combing that mop with a plastic fork, [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Not sure if he was cleaning the fork or what... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pat

You know, when I took a pic of Ed and the 2 Charvel boys, his manager said it was fine as long as it didn't end up on the NET, and to add to that, Ed was really shying away from the cameras, as much as possible anyway. A lot of the various pictures I've seen of him at NAMM, he was ducking his head and had his hair down over the sides of his face. Definitely a shame, but that's what a life of extreme will do and to add cancer to the mix?

Comment

Kerry King is pretty laid back. He was just standing around at the BC Rich booth and there was nobody around. He's a lot shorter in person that you'd think he'd be. His tatoos on his head are freakin amazing and he let me take pictures of the back of his head.

Of all the stars I met, Alex Skolnick, Michael Angelo, Mark Wood (TSO) and Floyd Rose were the most talkative, down to earth, and friendly.

George Lynch hardly talks and was a bit of an ass. He was signing autographs at the Dean Markley booth with Jeff Pilson. I got him to sign a Dokken CD and I told him I've been a fan since 1983 and I saw him play a new year's show back then with Dio and Y&T at the Cow Palace. He just looked at me, made a puzzled look with his face and said, "huh. that was a long time ago". And didn't say anything else. Others I talked to at the show agreed that George was an ass to them as well. Dude, if you're gonna sign at the show, you could at least be social and not frown at people all the time.

Comment

I met Lynch a couple of times. I think he just doesn't have much of a personality. At a clinic I brought two of his models to sign. I asked him some question about the tremolos he's had on his main Yellow bengal over the years and he just looked at me like I was asking how he likes his eggs cooked. What kind of questions do you expect at a guitar clinic? Throughout the "meet and greet" he looked like he thought he was in hell.

Comment

Lynch was WIRED for sound if you ask me, I saw him a few times and have some video of him playing at the Boss demo area. Was very lame IMO...

I'll post it once I get it converted, thanx again Jeremy for shooting the video! ( We should have shot a lot more bro... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pat

[ January 20, 2003, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Strangletooth ]

Comment

but did you ever see buckethead and Christopher Guest at the same time? AHA! Buckethead is Christopher Guess!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X