No announcement yet.

Why didn't Jackson / Charvel ever...???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why didn't Jackson / Charvel ever...???

I got thinking about Jackson / Charvel's history and legacy. Major points, I mean. The stuff that really defined the company, especially their success in the early years. ...No brainer: the bedrock of J/C's existence is the concept of a true custom shop. Anything goes. You dream it, and they'll build it.

In essence, this was a response to guitarists' disappointment with the factory offerings by the big names. Lots of folks were "hot rod'ing" their axes, because Fender or Gibson weren't offering what they wanted. And, in turn, J/C started the custom shop concept, for straight-from-the-factory hot rod'ing. Hence the concept of the "superstrat" or "hot rod'd strat". That's really a J/C creation.

And, as we all know, J/C applied that same approach to Vs, Explorers, Firebirds, etc. ...So why didn't they ever do a hot rod'd Les Paul during the San Dimas years? Comparatively, these are near non-existent in J/C's history. Why not apply the same successful "superstrat" formula to a Les Paul body style? Why didn't they ever do that? This seems espcially strange considering they applied it to nearly every OTHER Gibson body style during the 80s. In retrospect, the absence of that one Gibby body style is so conspicuous, that it almost seems like it might've been a conscious decision to NOT do LPs. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

...What do you think? Were there other similar "why didn't they"'s that you wonder about?

Re: Why didn\'t Jackson / Charvel ever...???

I've wondered about this as well. WHy is a Les Paul with a floyd so "wrong"? Back in the day when I was gigging all I
    ever played was Les Pauls, and I would have loved the option
    of buying that style of guitar with my own specifications
    IE;floyd, Duncans, inlays etc. What makes the Les Paul so "Untouchable"?
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Because they can't touch the Les Paul. [img]/images/graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

Comment

Doesn't Gibson have a long (back at least as far as the 70s) history of suing everyone who makes Les Paul knockoffs?
        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Off the top of my head, I am thinking that it may be because nobody ordered them.
          Occupy JCF

Comment

They did the JJP (one-humbucker Dinky Les Paul) back in '97. Marty Friedman also had a full-sized one-humbucker Les Paul made. Like Tekky said, probably nobody ordered them.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Off the top of my head, I am thinking that it may be because nobody ordered them.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 I remember seeing floyded gibsons every now and again, but I think that if you were a Les Paul guy, you didnt want a trem (me on the other hand, I did not own a Les Paul until I found one with a trem - at a reasonable price of course!) Also, wouldnt Gibson floyd a LP for you is you were ready to pay. On the other hand, I think it would have been hard to get fender to make a (correct neck spec etc.) copy of say, Splatterpusses' Reaper back in the day.
              "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Ya gotta remember almost no one was playing LP's in the early 80's,C/J built on what was popular & what there was a demand for!!
                It wasn't till GNR & Slash that the LP became popular again & demand(& $$!!)went up!!By then San Dimas C/J was over if not gone & copyrights,etc. were being enforced!!

Comment

I'd agree that LPs were much less popular in the 80s. But there were still plenty of guys playing them, anyway. ...Randy. Sykes. Schon. Ace. Lots of lesser-knowns, too.

Do I think there should have been a lot of them done back then? No. Does it make sense that some would have been done? Yes.

Again, the absence is so complete that it is almost conspicuous. Weird. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Another thing off the top of my head is that Charvels started off as "hot rodded strats". Most strats at that time were only coming with 3 single coils, but most people wanted the strat body with a Les Paul sound. Hence the double humbucker Charvels were born.
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

I think Vivian(Dio) had a Jackson made Black Les Paul back in 85 or 86 and used it on tour.
                      I read that in his interview back in 80's and said the sound was terrible.
                      He even mentioned it as the first Jackson Les Paul ever.

Comment

To add as well. It all started as a parts enterprise and you cant really make replacement necks and bodies for Gibsons. Another reason could have been arch tops, when did the first arch top soloists come out?

Comment

Right. I remember a pic of Viv with it. I believe Marty Friedman got one, too. Much, much later, though. 90s, I think.

And, yes, hot rod'd strats with LP humbucking tone. Floyds, too. Definitely the rage back then. (...Hey, I lived it. So I remember it, too! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )

But think of the number of other J/C "hot rod'd" body styles that were pretty much unpopular then, too. ...Firebirds, anyone? NO-ONE was playing Gibby 'birds back then - flat out totally uncool in the 80s! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Certainly much, much less popular than Les Pauls at the time. And, yet, J/C made enough 'birds to be known. But not the much-more-popular (even then) LPs. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I have the Dio concert DVD from '83 you're thinking of, and he plays a black Les Paul. I did'nt know it was a charvel.

Comment

I think the lack of popularity in Les Pauls, the amount of time to make the arch top, more than likely, due to the archtop itself and lack of computer machining aids, putting a Floyd on right would have been very tedious, like others have said: you wanted a fat sound out of a smaller single-coil pickup guitar...not vice versa, parts were probably easier to make and find for strats, etc.-Lou
                              " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Working...
                              X