Replacing a MidBoost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing a MidBoost

Hey everyone, i have a big question, ok...i need to replce the active midboost system in my charve 650, i have no clue what to do...should i buy EMG? or a replacement jackson system? anthoer thing is that i have a single/single/humbucker confingeration with holes for 3 pots and a 5-way selector switch....what should i do!!!??!!

Re: Replacing a MidBoost

Most people eliminate the mid-boost and wire up stock or modified Fender wiring.

Comment

but woundnt the output become less hot?

Comment

John: question for the tech q&a! [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

If you want to keep the existing system except for the mid boost: You may remove the active circuit, and if so, I'd recommend replacing the pots with much higher resistances. Personally, I'd use a 500 K ohm pot for volume and then for each tone control I'd use 250 K ohm. But the stock Jackson pots are lower values. The volume is a 50 K ohm, as is the mid boost. But the tone control is 250 K ohm, so you could leave that.

Now, if you want to install new pickups: You would follow the above instructions unless you go for active EMG's, which will need 25 K ohm pots. Which way were you deciding to go with it?
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

charvel 750:
          i loved the way the midboost sounded, and i found a chip or boost that i can replace it with...s i think that ill go with the jackson....im also going to get new pots for it becuase the volume pot(50) was to small, anything else you can tell about the boost? like diffent pot sizes? or anything?

thanks - john

Comment

Working...
          X