Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me chose my next guitar...? Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me chose my next guitar...? Please!

Ah not a list of guitars, but of needs (what the guitar HAS to have) and wants (what it'd be cool if it had)

Need:

At least set neck
    One humbucker in bridge, no middle pickup
    24 frets
    Alder or Mahogany (well not basswood)

Wouldn't mind, but not necessary:

not dot inlays
    TOM/string through
    Ebony fretboard
    Different body type
    A single coil in there
    2 volume controls
    Under 400 pounds
    Binding

Right now I have a Charvel model 4, whose building quality is VERY good. So yeah, I'll be a bit snobbish and be skeptical if you suggest too many Koreans models
    Also, I live in the UK, so 800 euros, 600 pounds, make that 700 dollars for you Americans (yeah it's unfair ). I am willing to go second hand.
    What I am eyeing would a Charvel model 5 for now... Maybe a 2, or even a 1. Anyhoo, any suggestions are welcome I don't look for sound by the way, but for looks and building quality. Sound can always be changed. Thanks for your time!

Re: Help me chose my next guitar...? Please!

if your really luck..kv2 for around $750-800 USD

Comment

Kris not everyone is a lucky bastard like you!!!

If you like RRs, I would get a neck-thru RR Pro. They go for around 500 dollars on the 'bay lately.

Comment

Pott - at the moment, 600 quid is way more than 700 dollars: in fact according to XE.net its around 1080 US Dollars.

OK you have to factor in shipping and taxes, but you should be able to go to $800 at least (factoring in $100 for shipping and then 25% tax)

If you're looking in the UK, an early Rhoads Pro or archtop Soloist should fit the bill.
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Yeah... I don't think I'd go for the US though. With the shipping and all it could get very annoying quickly, and I don't know how ebay sellers react to that. I also have no idea how all that works and how much VAT and customs would be.
          Good idea about the Rhoads, I really do like the shape. The pro were old Japanese series right? Maybe I could also get a soloist in this price range (pro that is)? Or would be the exact same as the Model 5? :P

Comment

There is a black Rhoads pro on the UK eBay at the moment, which looks pretty good. Don't believe the BS about the upgraded active pickups though....
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

The tax on guitars is less than you might expect - import customs rates on guitars are (I think, so you'll need to check) only 6.25% - however be careful, they levy VAT at 17.5% on the TOTAL cost (ie including shipping) THEN slap the import duty on top of that.

Thus, a guitar that 'costs' £100 plus shipping of £50 is a total of £150, then add VAT (26.25), total of 176.25 - then import duty of £11.02 gives a grand total of £187.27 - in other words you hav to pay an additional 87.27 to get a £100 guitar.

I've been looking into importing from the States given the strong pound against the dollar - I can only see it being really worthwhile at the top end with a hefty reduction, or if the dollar to pound goes above 1.92 again - in many cases, whilst it's pounds for dollars most of the time over here, the saving you make may well not be worth the hassle.

There's no import duty from the EU of course - try to find an Estonian dealer [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

haha guitars are cheap on Estonia?
                I don't have any money right now, but I am one of those people who needs a specific goal for which to save, otherwise I just buy CDs as soon as I have 10 quid haha! It's bad [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
                I'll check the Rhoads.

Edit: ah yeah that's a beautiful guitar... I hope it won't go over 500 pounds. If it stays this low I may be able to save up that much and see until a new one turns up. Cheers for the tip!

Comment

Shipping on a Rhoads will be severely higher, due to its large case.
                  You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]???

guitars cost 2x more here.
                    The only thing that is cheap here are the hookers.
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I'm not in the market for those, but I shall remember when I need to import them :P Though I also live in Amsterdam, so the competition is fierce [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

i got a model 2 for £100 from some dude in n.y. on ebay +45 shipping and 30 import charges...but what else can you get for £175? a squire strat??? a yam pacifica?? at least it's a quality gtr with a bit of history in it...and at the end of the day how much would one of these cost in today's prices?? i think i got a bargain. i've bought a few guitars from the states new and used i think you get a better selection and better prices compared to over here, as always it pays to shop around.i paid £400 for my slsmg £50 shipping £90 import tax, the same guitar in the u.k. retails at £800. plus i got one with eds paint job...not available in the u.k. ( and as far is i know it's the only one in the u.k. as i speak). [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                        yeah it was me, you got a problem with that?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]???

guitars cost 2x more here.
                          The only thing that is cheap here are the hookers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, how cheap is cheap? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Huh huh
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Wouldn't mind, but not necessary:

not dot inlays
                            TOM/string through
                            Ebony fretboard
                            Different body type
                            A single coil in there
                            2 volume controls
                            Under 400 pounds
                            Binding

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think you will ever in your whole life find a guitar that is more than 400 pounds..... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

O.k.
                            Time to go to bed.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I dont think you will ever in your whole life find a guitar that is more than 400 pounds..... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.flyingvintage.com/gcmag/bigv.html

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X