Jackson Necks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jackson Necks

on standard and speed necks is the standard wider than the speed?

Comment

While we're on the subject of Jackson necks, are any of the Jackson model necks compatable with the Charvel bodies, say the model line?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        your level of playing shouldn't be so fragile and dependant on the guitar that you're playing. sure, there's personal preference and such, but you should pretty much be able to play as well on a les paul as an ibanez.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much true. I mean I can play anything I play on the jackson on the bc rich. Its just a matter of comfort. The biggest problems are hand cramping (and this is really only if I am playing for an extended period) on certain positions or stretches. And as some have already mentioned the slight stickiness which causes more "drag" when you are trying to shred on a painted neck. But if either of those things were that huge of a problem I would have sold the axe long ago. The point is though, I completely understand wanting a speed neck and I don't think there is anything at all wrong with it. Its a comfort thing. And part of being able to improvise and feel the music as your playing comes from having a comfort zone with the guitar.

Comment

"Hey Torquemada, whaddya say!" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"Let's face it, you can't torquemada anything!" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Love that movie [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            your level of playing shouldn't be so fragile and dependant on the guitar that you're playing. sure, there's personal preference and such, but you should pretty much be able to play as well on a les paul as an ibanez.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes a guitar just isn't comfortable, or has a really really slow feeling neck that you just can't play well on.

The most gorgeous Jackson I ever saw or held in my own hands was the flamed korina archtop I owned, but it's thicker than LP neck was too difficult to play fast. For the life of me, I love the way it felt and how it played, but was just too thick for me to play my music on. I might have been able to play some really slow blues or jazz on it, but every time I played it at rehearsal, I was playing catch the drummer.
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

as long as the guitar has fresh strings, i can pretty much get comfortable with anything except an Ibanez. too damn thin.

Comment

As long as the guitar is set up to my liking, neck size doesn't matter much to me.

Some newer nitro lacquers do have a real sticky feel from all the added plasticizers they put in to speed up production and prevent weather checks.

Comment

My fusions all have thin necks (feels about the same as my KV1 did) I find these thinner necks more to my liking than the fatter ones
                  I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

I just can't play everything on every guitar but it' not the neck being thinner or thicker. I'm not a powerfull guy, I just need soft strings to be able to play comfortably and fast [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                    Check my bands!
                    www.myspace.com/magicktr
                    www.myspace.com/sinif64
                    www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      as long as the guitar has fresh strings, i can pretty much get comfortable with anything except an Ibanez. too damn thin.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      Same here. If the neck is too thin, your hand will cramp up much quicker. Thicker necks are more comfortable... Hamer even did a study about this one time and found that thicker necks yield a more natural grip where you won't be fatigued as quickly. I've got small hands myself, but I prefer thicker, rounder necks like the Les Paul '59 profile.
                      Fast playing can be achieved on any profile neck as long as you practice and put the effort into it.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'd like to see Hammer's target market and style of players in that market, because I bet the largest portion of them play with their thumb hooked over the fretboard. If you play classical style, with your thumb resting on the middle of the back of the neck, then there is no way a larger neck will keep you from fatiguing slower. With a fat neck, I'm forced to lay my fingers flatter on the fretboard to hit the lower strings, restricting the movement of the tendons, causing me to play slower and tire quicker. I don't see baseball bat necks on classical guitars.

Comment

Uh, I don't know what kind of classical guitar you've ever seen, but most of them do have big fat necks. Like I said, my hands are on the small side and I prefer a fatter neck... and, yes, I do rest my thumb in the middle of the neck.

Comment

right Toe. The classical guitars I like are the fat-ass V shaped necks. I have smaller hands and skinny fingers and I like fatter necks as well. If you have honed technique you could play on any guitar that was set up to your liking, not neck shape or width but action.

There is a misconception that if you are a slowpoke player with horrible technique that if you go get ya a guitar with one of the mentioned "speed" necks that you be chasing down Malmsteen and Angelo and telling them they are slow old bastids [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Practice will get you speed, the neck doesn't matter in my opinion.
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Yeah, kinda like how Carvin has those "rapid play" necks. LOL The neck has nothing to do with how fast a person can play.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                that you be chasing down Malmsteen and Angelo and telling them they are slow old bastids [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh heh [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                                X