Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where would Jackson guitars be without RR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where would Jackson guitars be without RR?

Where would Jackson guitars be without RR?

I have always wondered if Jackson guitars would have been created if not for Randy. Because of Randy's Concorde design Grover put his name on it instead of Charvel, to radical looking for a Charvel. If Randy had never approched Grover would the Jackson line have ever existed?

I do think Grover would still have produced his neck through guitars. But without Randy's V making him put his name on a guitar, would the soloist have carried the Charvel name plate? Or would they have still been logo'ed as Jacksons?

Please discuss. [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Re: Where would Jackson guitars be without RR?

Who knows? Since there were indeed some neck-through Charvels made in the 80's, I'd guess that they would have all been Charvels - unless Grover felt the urge to put his name on a guitar for other reasons.

Then again, how about the Kelly? Maybe that would have become the "first Jackson" if it wasn't for Randy's Concorde?

Comment

I'd have to say I've had guitars for 21 years. I had an RR import (no-name) for a short while back then that didn't last too long. I always loved superstrats, and recently (past 7 years) I've added 3 LP's and 3 SG's to the stable.

What I'm saying is that the "radical" look through me off for a long time. Just recently I picked up a cheap Kelly (sold off as parts - it was a mutt), and a month ago, a beautiful white RR1.

I really love this thing. Just a little remorse it took so long to decide to buy one.

Now I'm after a black Kelly neck through.

Black and white. Look to the cookie!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Who knows? Since there were indeed some neck-through Charvels made in the 80's

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know this. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] These must be the rarest of the rare. Anyone have photos?
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

neck through charvies were imports.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            neck through charvies were imports.

[/ QUOTE ] I know this, but would the import neck thrus have been built if the first neck thru Jackson USA were not? That is the question. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The way his statement was worded would lead someone to believe that there may have been a couple neck thru USA Charvies floating around.
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I think Grover would have eventually done his own branded models, even if Randy had gone with Dean (he went to Dean first and they turned it down [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ), but doubt they'd be the radically-styled ones like the RR, KV, and so on.
              There might be a few more neckthrough LPs, SGs, Roundhorn Vs, and Firebirds in the world had Grover been left to his own devices, though, since the impetus for those came from Grover.

If that was the case, this would be the Dean Guitars Forum [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

What about the Vic Vergat V's?

http://www.jacksonmuseum.com/museum/...-pics/vv3.html

http://www.jacksonmuseum.com/museum/...-pics/vv2.html

RW makes a pretty good case that Vergat placed his order for the 4 V's before Randy met w/ Grover, even though they were delivered later. Interesting that they aren't logoed as either Charvels or Jacksons.

Comment

(The Vergat Vs are what popped in my mind also)

Yes but Vergat's are *considered* Charvels, as listed on the shipping invoice and Vergat's '81 album. Also,

"according to vic - he did not want any logos on his guitars, as they had been fully built after his designs and he felt it'd be a "strange" element to have subsequently."
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I dont know, saying that Jackson would not have happened if it werent for Randy kind of negates other players like Robbin, Amir, Vai, and alot of other guys in the good company ad. The better question would be which models would not exist. The RR for sure and since the dbl RR and the KV were off shoots would they have ever happened? Very hard to say the ideas for the original Rhoads were Randy's, but didnt he just do rough drawings of the first and then a refinement for the RR? Grover took his idea and actually created it.

Comment

Yeah Randy's drawings weren't very "refined". [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

But the question is would those have been BRANDED Charvels, or would Grover have thought they were too radical for the Charvel name and put his own name on it, as was the case with Randy's.

As was stated, Robbin's Double Rhoads wouldn't exist without a Rhoads to double - it may have been a super-sized roundhorn V, but most likely not a pointy-tipped V.
                        Amir and Vai and everyone up til Brad Kelly of Heaven used a Strat-type, and those most probably would have gotten a Charvel logo.

One has to wonder if Grover had turned down Randy, would there even be a Kelly, Warrior, Death Angel, Machine Gun, Battle Axe, etc etc.
                        I think that's the question being asked.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

I think those guitars would have come. There had to be a little bit of vanity involved when the Jackson logo was put on the first guitar. The soloist being a Grover creation would have probably garnered his name.

Comment

Isnt Brad Kelly the names sake of my dearest USA guitars?
                            Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

Yup. Guitarist for an Australian band called Heaven. But not the same Brad Kelly that hangs out here (I think) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X