Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where would Jackson guitars be without RR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where would Jackson guitars be without RR?

I always thought it was telling that there were nearly 1000 RRs built through 1984, compared with 400 J-serial Jacksons. The J-serials quickly caught up, but it's pretty clear that the RRs were defining early Jacksons, at least from a sales point of view.

Comment

I don't know where Jackson would be but I sure wouldn't be with Jackson as RR and KV are my favorite models.

Comment

yeah well Veli who needs ya....

HEHE. I am a King V nut too. But the Kelly is my Fav
        Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          yeah well Veli who needs ya....

[/ QUOTE ]
          I suck. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

yep.... he he
            Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              What about the Vic Vergat V's?

http://www.jacksonmuseum.com/museum/...-pics/vv3.html
              http://www.jacksonmuseum.com/museum/...-pics/vv2.html

RW makes a pretty good case that Vergat placed his order for the 4 V's before Randy met w/ Grover, even though they were delivered later. Interesting that they aren't logoed as either Charvels or Jacksons.

[/ QUOTE ] Those are some ugly ass guitars [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I just finished reading that Randy developed the sharkfin inlay.

Comment

Hmm. Interesting topic. Could have been alot different, but I suspect that Grover would gave just started the "Jackson" line with another type of neckthrough as I get the impression that was what he was looking for an excuse to do. I do understand that there were neckthrough charvels in the early days, but the exceptions dont prove the rule.

Anyway, I am glad that RR and Grover did their thing as once upon a time all I could think about was getting a real RR [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]!!!
                  "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I think the Jackson brand would have started as well. In the '80s alot of people wanted something unique/scarry/flashy/radical/etc. BCR had the Warlock, Ironbird, & Bitch, Ibanez the Iceman, Hamer had KK's shapes. My guess is some other cat would have come along that wanted a radical shape & Grover would have slapped the Jackson logo on it.

What I think is more debatable is would the Jackson line have become more popular than the Charvel line?
                    KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                    I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Randy was collecting Gibson Les Pauls before he died. Maybe he would have had Gibson make his next guitar like Zakk Wilde? Scary!!

Comment

IMO : a whole lot less successfull(sp?)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I think the Jackson brand would have started as well. In the '80s alot of people wanted something unique/scarry/flashy/radical/etc. BCR had the Warlock, Ironbird, & Bitch, Ibanez the Iceman, Hamer had KK's shapes. My guess is some other cat would have come along that wanted a radical shape & Grover would have slapped the Jackson logo on it.

What I think is more debatable is would the Jackson line have become more popular than the Charvel line?

[/ QUOTE ]

But how long did BCR have those radical designs before the RR model was made? I know Ibenhad had the Iceman in the mid 70s, and KK's Hamers weren't done until 83 (the pointy mini-V and the mini-Kelly), and didn't have the Scarab until 83 or 84 IIRC.

Typically you don't see copy-catting between manufacturers beyond the Fender/Gibson shapes at that time (i.e. Carvin didn't make a Warlock-type, etc), so I doubt Grover saw a need to go in that direction with his own brand.
                          Only Grover knows for sure if he would have eventually started his own brand line if not for Randy's radical design. I'd wager a neckthrough Explorer, Firebird, or V would have definitely been on his "to do" list, but probably not with a Jackson logo. Though it is entirely possible that he had considered it, but then you end up in competition with yourself for brand-name recognition.

However, he had stated in interviews after Jackson's "official launch" that he wanted to keep Jackson as all neckthroughs and use Charvel for the bolt-ons.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            But how long did BCR have those radical designs before the RR model was made? I know Ibenhad had the Iceman in the mid 70s, and KK's Hamers weren't done until 83 (the pointy mini-V and the mini-Kelly), and didn't have the Scarab until 83 or 84 IIRC.

However, he had stated in interviews after Jackson's "official launch" that he wanted to keep Jackson as all neckthroughs and use Charvel for the bolt-ons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly sure but I think the Rich Bich was pre '83, Warlock may have been '83/'84. Either way neither of those shapes were spawned by the RR. So again I state if not Randy someone would have come to Grover w/ a wild shape.

If Grover had always intended to build neckthru, it is possible he would have still spunoff the Jackson line as neckthru & keep Charvel as bolt-on.
                            KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                            I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Working...
                            X