Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dinky guitars? (noob question!)

Hi guys,

This is definately a noobie question! I was just wondering what makes a guitar a dinky? Is it just that they're a bit smaller than a 'normal' guitar?

Are they intended for beginners/children/people with small hands? (sorry if I've offended anyone!). It's just that the word 'dinky' has puzzled me for a while. [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Cheers.

Re: Dinky guitars? (noob question!)

The dinky shape is a bit pointier and it's 7/8 of the Strat's size. So yeah I guess it's smaller but not that much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Are they intended for beginners/children/people with small hands? (sorry if I've offended anyone!). It's just that the word 'dinky' has puzzled me for a while. [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ] They are designed for children but grownups can use them too. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] J/K They are for adults, the neck is normal size, just the body is a bit smaller than a Strat.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

The necks on the Dinky's are amazing! Definitely one of the most comfortable necks I've played.

- Joel
        RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
        RIP Dime

Comment

Cool. Thanks a lot for your help.

Like I said, sorry if I offended anyone. I was worried about how they would affect my macho image [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] J/K [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Players like Lynch and other 80's Hair Guitarists had a smaller build, and full-size Strats made them look like Angus behing a 335, so they worked with Grover to develop the Dinky body. Plus, less wood meant lighter weight which allowed them to move more freely on stage (spins, etc).
            Not all Dinkys were pointy - that came about a bit later, but the original Dinkys were Strat-shaped (round) like Lynch's Bengals and I believe a couple of Warren's Strats were Dinky-Strats also.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Hi guys,

This is definately a noobie question! I was just wondering what makes a guitar a dinky? Is it just that they're a bit smaller than a 'normal' guitar?

Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to ask the same question as well.

Comment

Dinky = bolt-on neck. Soloist = neck-thru body. Both the same size body shape. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Dinky = bolt-on neck. Soloist = neck-thru body. Both the same size body shape. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure Joe, Here is L to R, Strat body, Dinky, and Dinky XL that is soloist shape.

I think the newer Dinky's are soloist shape and the earlier ones are the 7/8 size like the middle Jackson.

Comment

Yes... the newer Dinky is like the Soloist in the pic above.
                    It has a more pronounced upper horn.
                    -Rick

Comment

I think the more pronounced upper horn/lower horn is the result of the move to 24 frets.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I think the more pronounced upper horn/lower horn is the result of the move to 24 frets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

As you can see in the photo above, there are actually two slightly different Dinky/Soloist body shapes, depending on whether they're 22 or 24 frets. The 24 fret'rs have longer, more pronounced horns. But the body styles are basically consistent between Dinkies and Soloists. 24f Dinky = 24f Soloist, 22 = 22.

I believe the 22 fret'r with shorter horns, etc. is what Newc was - sorry...incorrectly, bro - referring to above as an early version that was just a smaller-sized (round, not pointy) strat body. It has always been pointy, just slightly different style depending on # of frets. And the early Dinkies were Charvels (see Warren's "French" guitar) which had 22 frets.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                          That's what I thought, too.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Players like Lynch and other 80's Hair Guitarists had a smaller build, and full-size Strats made them look like Angus behing a 335, so they worked with Grover to develop the Dinky body.

[/ QUOTE ]

How tall are Lynch and Warren? I always remember Lynch as the buffed out dude from later in his career and I thought Warren was a tallish dude?
                            Can't think that they needed smaller guitars.
                            Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Warren doesn't look that much smaller than Robbin. I figure he's gotta be 6', at least.

well, there you go. He's 5'11
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X