Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How and when did you discover Jackson/ Charvel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How and when did you discover Jackson/ Charvel

I didn't get hooked on J/C's until early to mid 1990's as I was strictly a Gibson player thru my college years.

What got my attention initally was the unique graphics but once I had a few in hand the build quality, attention to detail and HOW great the neck (especially pointies) felt and played was what sealed my fate. As they say in the movies, the rest is history...been a J/C (mostly C) man since that time.
    www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
    My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

It was the summer of '63 and I was on safari in the deepest darkest reaches of Southern California. My safari partner, Reginald, spotted a Zebra-striped Charvel. It was quite a handsome specimen. I raised my rifle to take a shot. Sadly, I missed. Shortly afterward, Reginald spotted a Bengal, however when I raised my rifle Reginald stepped on my toe startling me and making my shot go wide. It wasn't until I returned to the area in '02 until I scored my first rare San Dimas Charvel. A beautiful Black one with creme binding. Bully, absolutely bully I say... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
      Occupy JCF

Comment

I had many guitars before a Jackson. I jammed with a guy for 10 years and he had several Jacksons and Charvels and their tone killed anything I had including my PRS and Ibanez JEM.

So I bought an SL2, a Charvel Mod 6 (I think) and my fav - the PC1. Now I have a Custom Demon that is suppose to be here this month. Not holding my breath.

They look great but playability and tone are what is important to me.
        PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Back in '78 I was building my own Super Strat type guitars from old crappy 70's Strats, DiMarzio, Schecter and Boogie Body parts while in college. I saw the ads in Guitar Player and became curious. I thought "hey they look like my guitars", only fancier with custom paint jobs. If only I was 500 miles more south and met Wayne Charvel! I was a die hard Gibson and Gretsch player. I didn't even like Fenders (which I have plenty now)Watched the 80's come and go. The glamour bands with hair and pointy looking guitars. Looked cool, but it was not me. Finally in 2004, I bought my first Jackson, then another, the another. The PC1 is my Fav and holy grail. Then I signed on to JCF and have a major affliction every day. G.A.S. real bad. I want an old Charvel badly! I may have to go 5150 any day now [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I used to go to LaVonne Wagener music in Savage MN in the mid 80's, they always had some cool Charvels and Jacksons in stock.

Comment

I remember back in the late 80's, me and my friends would see music videos with guys playing Jacksons, and we all wanted Jacksons so bad. For some reason though, we couldn't get them in Canada at that time, at least not around here. All we could get was Charvels, and while we all know how good they are, we wanted Jacksons!!!!

Eventually, they started showing up at some dealers, that's when I got my Dinky Reverse. I can't believe I paid $1,100 Canadian for that fucking thing. I got totally ripped off. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

If only Ebay had existed back then. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

started playing in the late 90's. went to Mars Music to check out guitars with my dad for christmas. I played a Blue JS-20, a Black Washburn that looked the same, and a cheapo Squier strat. I liked the jackson the best so I got that one. still have it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

My cousin got a Model 4 for his birthday. I thought it was an awesome guitar. That was 1986? I didnt get my first Charvel/Jackson for some years later in the mid 90's with a Charvel Predator, and then a new Jackson Kelly XL Reverse. Since then I have aquired a Charvel 3DR, Charvel Model 5FX, Charvel Model 3A, Charvel Model 6, and a Jackson DR6

Comment

Warren and Jake are the reason I bought a 3A back in 1986.

Comment

I knew of Jackson and Charvel from the Twisted Sister and RATT videos from MTV's golden age in the early 80's. I played my first Jackson, which by the way was a custom shop one humbucker Soloist with the granite finish that had the black cracks in it. Bad ass looking axe. At that time I wasn't the self proclaimed guitar guru I am today so I didn't care about playability, etc............just how cool they looked. I also got to play a Charvel Twisted Sister Eddie Ojeda pink and black bullseye Guitar Center in San Diego. I was hooked. In 1992 I signed up for Musicians Friend catalogs and inside I found what would become my next guitar. It was a Jackson Dinky Reverse with the stone finish and 24 fret maple board. At the time I had my Custom BC Rich NJ Series Warlock in black and red crackle with one EMG Select humbucker, one volume control and a Floyd copy trem that also had a 22 fret maple board. I have always had a thing for maple boards. I waited until May 1995 to place my order. MF didn't have the stone finish in stock and could say for sure when they would get them in so I opted for a black on with rosewood board which satisfied my Metallica infatuation. It was the next best thing to having Kirk Hammetts ESP KH II. It came in with case and got one hell of a workout through my little Crate G40C combo. It was the only guitar I had for 5 years so I wore the frets down damn near flat and the hardware was getting rusty and worn. I sold it to a buddy of mine and ended up going with an Ibanez RG7420 7 string. By 2001 when I found this here JCF board I was searching for a new guitar and thought Jackson would be the way to go. With the help of several kind souls on this board I was steered in the direction of a Jackson DK2. In March of 2002 I bought my DK2 for the low low price of $299.99 in trans blue, dropped a Duncan SH-6 Distortion bucker in the bridge and have been a faithful Jackson player ever since. It seems like every time I try to sell it it never ends up leaving me. I guess for some reason I'm supposed to have my DK2. After playing it last night I decided to just keep it. It complements my DK2LE very well and with the HSS config I can get most every tone I could ever need.

Bottom line I officialy discovered Jackson/Charvel guitars in 1984 and became the proud owner of one in May 1995.

Comment

Back in 1989 when I was 15, I had a vague idea I wanted to play the guitar (mostly influenced by listening to The Scorpions). As luck would have it, my distant cousin Mike moved into town for a brief while after playing in a bunch of bands in LA. He became my teacher, and he played this bizarre black Charvel Star, but it had a weird headstock that I've never seen, no logos either. Not really sure what's up with it...

But anyway, he found a used Model 2 in the newspaper classifieds for me. A few years later, I snapped up a Model 4 and a 375 DLX and sold the Model 2 to a friend.

I practically forgot about the guitar during and after college and sold my 375. A few years ago, a friend talked me into playing again and we formed a band. I found another 375 after failing to talk my friend into selling me the Model 2. He won't cough it up even though he doesn't play and is storing it in his garage. He has no genitals.

But the Model 4 and the 375 are getting lots of action!

Comment

Well, I discovered Charvel/Jackson in a particular way: a friend o' mine had a guitar who considered the very BEST one in the world, and I wonder why...I never heard Charvel before, but I knew I had a Gibson Les Paul Custom and an Explorer, not bad guitars, but he still valued this unknown (for me guitar)the most excellent instrument in the world.

Once he came with this guitar and he let me try it: it was a white model 6, I discovered later, a soloist in few word. Since then I looked at Jacksons and Charvel and in 1999 finally I had the money to but an RR1...really beautiful...
                          '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
                          '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
                          '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                          '92 Fender Strat scallop
                          '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
                          '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

Re: How and when did you discover Jackson/ Charvel?

I didn't get interested in playing until freshman year of college. One of the other guys in my dorm suite picked up an Ibanez JS1000 during the semester and got me interested in guitar. I decided I wanted something with a headstock that looked like you could gut somebody with, not a guitar with a rounded safety-scissors headstock. Since my friend had an Ibanez, I decided to get a Jackson and wound up getting a JS20 as my first guitar.

Comment

Re: How and when did you discover Jackson/ Charvel?

I saw an ad for Charvel Fusions around '90 when I started playing and liked how they looked with their 2 pickups (S & H) and only a volume knob and a 3 way switch. A year or 2 later I saw one in a Sam Ash and bought it. I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Although as I got better as a player and listener to tone I sold it because it didn't really have the mojo. A couple of years later I got a DR3 that did have the mojo. It's a keeper.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

A kid I went to High School with recommended Charvel to me, around 1991. In addition to that, I was/am a Megadeth fan, and Tommy Victor from Prong was playing Charvels too. They were/are two of my favorite bands.

Comment

Working...
                                X