why is a Strathead so important?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why is a Strathead so important?

I am always in awe at how important the Strathead feature is to so many people here.
    why? , what's the big deal?
    I can see reagarding the Original San Dimas charvels, because of the low numbers,
    but now everyone is making a big deal about the PC-1 having a strat head on it.
    so what, I don't get it. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Re: why is a Strathead so important?

I think it is because the original PC-1 headstock was ugly as sin. IMHO.

Comment

+1 - we've got used to it and so the strathead just looks 'right'. Not many manufacturers have managed to come up with a 'strat-type' head which has looked any good to my eyes....
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

? To me, strat heads belong on strats, like my MIM, in it's case, wondering if it will ever be used after 7 years....

Comment

I like the original PC1 headstock myself but I bet I am in the minority here on that.

My fav Jackson headstock is the one on the SLS soloist anyway.
          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I do like the original PC1 headstock on the PC1 as well. But the new headstock is a step in the right direction, a taste of things to come, hopefully, and who am I to argue with that? To my eyes, it definitely belongs on a full-sized Strat body and doesn't look quite right on a Soloist/Dinky/Collen superstrat body.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I like the original PC1 headstock myself but I bet I am in the minority here on that.

My fav Jackson headstock is the one on the SLS soloist anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
              Yup, that definitely is much different than the mainstream taste. I hate the SLS headstock too. [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]

Comment

I think the Strat head is so important because we are conditioned to seeing it. How many people have used Strats? How many have been around? Hell, we all probably own at least one. The Strat was the first solid body electric guitar that really mattered, period. The Tele was just a design exercise, the LP was popular until after it was discontinued after 1960, and everyone else was making ugly junk.

I don't enjoy playing Fender Strats, but thank you, Leo, for giving us a great design. I would not have my Soloist if it wasn't for you.

Comment

the bid deal in regards to the PC 1 is that Fender is slowly bringing the strat head back and making it avail for the C/J players who prefer that headstock. With the 25th ani, EVH's, Retros, a couple artists guitars and the PC1 we are a step closer to being able to make strtheads an option for custom shop orders and/or production models.

For me personally, I love the look of stratheads. I'd don't do pointy bodies (RR1, KV, Warrior etc) and to some extent getting away from pointy headstocks althoegther. The last 5 guitars I bought or built/assembled had strat headstocks. One GMW, 2 Jackson woodburns, a Customwoods and a USA Fender.
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    what's the big deal?

[/ QUOTE ]
                    I've asked myself the same question many times. I'd take a pointy over a strathead any day. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                    [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

It is brand recongnition for sure beyond that I think everyone wants those things that are elusive(pre lawsuit). I wont by an epiphone because the headstock is not the same as a gibson at least on the les pauls. The originality of a headstock makes them very enduring to people. So to kind of turn it around look at the reception the 3+3 headstock KV's got. Not very warm if you ask me. People like the original of anything (strat, les paul, RR, KV) and if a new product in question is better than the original with the same visual ques then that is icing on the cake.

Comment

Why is a Strathead so important?

First, the simple answer. The old PC1 headstock was fugly. Now let's explore why.

Strat headstocks are classic, and represent a legacy of quality original guitars.

Obvious "almost" copies of Strat headstocks, like the one the PC1 had before, are a weak copy of that classic, which has been attempted by every lame guitar company around for years, and thus represent a legacy of cheap-copy guitars.

Jackson is better off either using something sufficiently original to differentiate it, like its trademark pointy headstock, or using (licensing) the actual Strat headstock shape.

The SLS headstock is just plain ugly. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: Why is a Strathead so important?

I wonder what the reaction would have been if the PC-1 headstock became a full fledged Jackson pointy , instead of a strat head? I personally love the Jackson/Charvel Pointy headstock, a strathead shaped headstock has never been a big deal to me.
                          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            The SLS headstock is just plain ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more,it looks a bit like a rejected q~tip...Beyond hideous when it is on a KV,go pointy or go home IMHO......
                            Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

because it looks cool & the straight string pull which helps with non locking trems. i personally only like strat heads on strats & dinkys, i never thought the old charvel stars, explorers or any other odd shape looked right with the strathead. flame suit has been put on.

Comment

Working...
                              X