Playability of an SL2H vs. a Les Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playability of an SL2H vs. a Les Paul

Dammit Scott...you beat me again!!! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The Gibson bashers make me laugh. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

<font color="yellow">Yeah...and not surprisingly, they've (most of them, anyway), never played or let alone owned a Les Paul Standard or Custom....

Lemings...I tell ya, Lemmings [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Fine, great...talk shit about Gibby's.....cool....but, at least give a valid reasoning behind your opinion, not just "the SL2H owns a Les Paul" [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

</font>

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]
          <font color="yellow">.... As far as sheer playability, to me, and comparing my Les Paul Custom to the old Shannon Soloist I used to have, the Les Paul is a much better playing guitar action wise and string tension wise.

I've never played a guitar that is as easy to play as my Les Paul, bar none. My 85' SD Charvel comes in a very close 2nd for playability, followed closely by a Jackson Dinky Custom and my Steinberger GM4T.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Tis true, tis true! I'm tellin ya folks, you wouldn't believe how low the action is on Sam's Gibby. Like I've said previously, you couldn't fit a flea's pecker between the high E and the 12th fret. It plays effortlessly. That guitar has some serious mojo. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="yellow">Thanks Mark, appreciate it bro.....

It is a incredible guitar....aged very well, plays great...and has the classic Les Paul sound.

Everybody who's ever played it has said somehting similar to what you said.....it's just effortless [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

I haven't played neither, so I don't know.

/Thoraby

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              <font color="yellow">.... As far as sheer playability, to me, and comparing my Les Paul Custom to the old Shannon Soloist I used to have, the Les Paul is a much better playing guitar action wise and string tension wise.

I've never played a guitar that is as easy to play as my Les Paul, bar none. My 85' SD Charvel comes in a very close 2nd for playability, followed closely by a Jackson Dinky Custom and my Steinberger GM4T.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Tis true, tis true! I'm tellin ya folks, you wouldn't believe how low the action is on Sam's Gibby. Like I've said previously, you couldn't fit a flea's pecker between the high E and the 12th fret. It plays effortlessly. That guitar has some serious mojo. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

See, that means nothing to me. Super low action to where the strings are just "plinking" off the frets, and not able to ring and sound out...I can't play that.
              All that proves is that the frets are level. I like to really hear the guitar speak out. That's what it's all about to me.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]
                I never cared for the LP,

it has the speed neck and the things on it that I think make it superior to Gibbys.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="yellow">Ummmmmm, OK [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

That is very subjective and a personal opinion [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img] </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't all opinions on a sujective term like "playabilty", personal and subjective? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I don't think any opinion given here is any more valid than anyone elses. I think Ryan should try to get somewhere he can try a soloist and decide for himself rather than watch people argue online about which one is "better", which seems to be where this one is headed. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Good luck [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh sure...DAD!
                  BE the voice of reason, will ya?! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow!!! Lots of different opinions. Ryan, the best advice I can give is to go play a SL2H and decide for yourself. They are both excellent guitars. You need to see which you prefer. Here's an idea.....own one of each of them.

Comment

I have both, and want to keep both and buy more of each of them!

For all their drawbacks (upper fret access, weight, too many controls - for me at least [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ), I love Les Pauls (I've had 4) and they make me play in a certain way - more bluesy / bendy rather than technical.

The SL2H would probably be my guitar of choice if I was a session guy - it does most things pretty damn well, fits my hand perfectly, I love the sound, the Floyd and the appearance....

Like the guys say - try 'em both, and if you can't buy 'em both, get the one which feels 'right'.
                      Popular is not the same as good
                      Rare is not the same as valuable
                      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Ryan, I have all three to compare myself. The SL has a flatter radius and thinner (thickness) neck than the guitars your playing now. You might also want to check out the PC1, which I also have. It has the "rounder" radius and a bit thicker. They are all great guitars. The best recommendation from me is to check them out for a trial run. Only you can really tell.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I have both, and want to keep both and buy more of each of them!

For all their drawbacks (upper fret access, weight, too many controls - for me at least [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ), I love Les Pauls (I've had 4) and they make me play in a certain way - more bluesy / bendy rather than technical.

The SL2H would probably be my guitar of choice if I was a session guy - it does most things pretty damn well, fits my hand perfectly, I love the sound, the Floyd and the appearance....

Like the guys say - try 'em both, and if you can't buy 'em both, get the one which feels 'right'.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 both are great guitars, nothing to say about this, even if I think a very good match for a Les Paul is an archtop soloist like a Professional limited edition '91, with a pair of SD seth lovers or '59s...
                          '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
                          '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
                          '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                          '92 Fender Strat scallop
                          '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
                          '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Ryan, I have all three to compare myself. The SL has a flatter radius and thinner (thickness) neck than the guitars your playing now. You might also want to check out the PC1, which I also have. It has the "rounder" radius and a bit thicker. They are all great guitars. The best recommendation from me is to check them out for a trial run. Only you can really tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the reason I find the Wolfgang more "playable" is due to its oiled maple neck compared to the mahogany painted neck of the LP Custom. It's just a lot smoother feel (the maple neck) and more comfortable to me personally. I don't have any dealers near me that sell the SL2H, but they do sell some of the Japanese models. I'm going to check into an SL2H with a maple neck. Would you say your SL2H plays more like your Wolfgang or your LP?

Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Les Pauls are a very different animal. I like to have one around because I play very differently on a Paul than I do on a Strat or a shredder guitar. It brings out different things in my playing.
                              Variety is the spice of life!

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta say I'm with you on this. There was a time where I did not play for about 3 months and went into a store, picked up a Les Paul and ripped it up effortlessly.

I think Gibsons are very easy to play because of the shorter scale for most people - I for one prefer a 25.5" scale - notes are more articulate IMO on the longer scale necks.
                              So while I prefer a Soloist hands down some would argue the Les Paul - and they do have great necks I must admit.

But if you are a shredder there is not comparison - you gotta go with the Jackson neck.
                              PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X