Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly like LP

salut,

do you think a Kelly does have enough body to sound like a Les Paul?
    I mean Short-Scale,non-Trem, Mahogoni-Maple Top.

Re: Kelly like LP

If you had a mahogany Kelly, the thing has so much wood that the thing would sound like an explorer...
    Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

Strangely enough, my KE3 and my Les Paul Custom are my two most identical-sounding guitars I've ever owned, which was rather odd considering they're VERY different guitars.

KE3: Alder body, maple bolt-on neck, trem bridge, EMG-85/EMG-89 pickups.
      LPC: Maple-on-mahogany body, mahogany set-neck, tunomatic/stoptail bridge, Duncan JB/59n pickups.

Comment

uh, that's strange [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

An all Korina Kelly would probably have the same sound as a les paul but at a much lower bodyweight. But as some have already said here the weight of mahogany varies greatly. You can probably specify "lightweight mahogany" on the spec sheet and I bet they can do that. But its important to note that alot of the les paul sound IMO comes from the archtop. Caps change the sound greatly. And to my knowledge I've never heard of a archtop Kelly being built. Tone is a funny thing (natural tone that is) you can build two guitars out of the same wood and the same basic shape and they might sound totally different.

Comment

have you seen the Kelly Korina Spalt Maple for NAMM?
            Damn, this would be uuhhh.
            I already wondered why nobody did mention this one.
            I guess everbody wants to have it that and not make anybody hot on it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              salut,

do you think a Kelly does have enough body to sound like a Les Paul?
              I mean Short-Scale,non-Trem, Mahogoni-Maple Top.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which Kelly's are short scale?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Which Kelly's are short scale?

[/ QUOTE ]
                I doubt that any production model is? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I thought about a Custom one.

BTW didn't the standart RR used to be short-scale?

Comment

The first Kelly I bought was a mutt. A Fusion Professional neck on a PS6T body. I was able to get it to intonate. It looked really cool, ebony, MOP sharkies, black body, blacked out hardware. The only problem was the shipper did the worst packing job I have ever seen in my life. Not even in a box, just wrapped in sheets of cardboard. The body got damaged (not too bad), but I took the neck off and used it on a Charvel Fusion Deluxe body.

I'm in the process of making another Kelly, but this time with a DK-1 neck and a KE3 body. All in due time.

Oh, and none of my Kellys sound anything like my Less Pauls.

Comment

I don´t think the production RR´s have ever been short scale...perhaps the XTRR was, though?

Comment

Nope, the XTRR was also 25.5" scale.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the production Kellys or RR's were short scale. The early Warriors were though.

Comment

Working...
                        X