Hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

Hello, first post. I have a question, but a longish story that goes with it, so bear with me.I'm 38 and have owned several hundred guitars over the years. I don't play out anymore, just for fun. Recently, I sold my Les Paul for some much needed $$$. That left me with just an Alvarez acoustic/electrical and my Pignose Hog-20 amp. I've always been a blues/rock type player. Having just the classical guitar got me playing all sorts of stuff that I've never thought of before. Eventually, the Jones for an electric came back. I wanted something that would fit my style (a mix of Albert King, Hendrix, SRV, Jerry Garcia, Allman) and allow me to play some of what I've been coming up with. The guitar also needed to be inexpensive, since money is still tight. Since classical guitar sort of works well with Metal, I decided to get a Jackson again (I've owned many C and J guitars and always loved them). I wanted a HEAVY blues/metal sound and a guitar without a trem. Also, I wanted something different to any guitar I've ever had. I've always wanted an "Explorer" shape guitar, so....I went with a JS-30KE. It won't be here until the weekend and I'm anxious!!!! Now, the question....Given what I said above, is this a good guitar to get back into electric playing and for my desired sound, kind of a metalfied Hendrix (I know, I'll need a "real" amp again. Also, I know the J/C thing of owning many and I'm sure I'll aquire more down the road.)?

Re: Hello

first off, welcome, and congrats on your purchase! i'm sure that the guitar will be versatile enough for what you're looking for. worst case scenario, you'd be a pickup swap away.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

To me, Hendrix is singlecoils and fulcrum trems, and you won't find that on the Kelly. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I will second what sully said though. A pickup swap and it will probably be fine.

Comment

Hi, welcome aboard.

Comment

yeah, i know singles vs. hum b's and no trem. i play like jh, not really going for that sound. more like albert king when he had the volume all the way up, overriding his amps. of course, jimi was copying albert in the first place, as was srv..... but albert played flying v's. imho, albert is the KING (pun intended) and the first guitar player with "THAT" tone. everyone is trying to get his tone, wheather they realize it or not......... [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

First of all, welcome aboard. I am a newbie and I have learned alot by being here. Even though it sounds like single coils with a 21 or 22 fret neck and medium strings is what will give you your best sound, i submit to you that Jimi still sounded like Jimi when he played a flying V. You will be fine!!! [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]
            Screamin'

Comment

always welcome someone in my age category with impeccable taste [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

A low end Kelly will fill that need your looking for, at a fair dollar price. But if your really looking for that certain sound, a USA select or a custom shop is the way to go. Its still probably gonna be cheaper than that LP you sold [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Though to me a HSS soloist or dinky sounds like it would suit your sound more. Throw a Hot rail and a cool rail in there and you have a hot lead pickup, a smooth even middle pickup and your riffing humbucker.

Once you get that Kelly, chances are you high you will want to swap that pickup out. If anyone can tell you what will give you the right tone, its this gang here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you'll be strumming soon. No problem with the choice. You soon will have G.A.S. for more J/C's. Once you're hooked there's no tuning back! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Hey there django, glad to have ya around. Cant go wrong with the kelly man. Enjoy it

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Welcome aboard [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                      Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Welcome.

Kelly's are great. I've never liked weird shapes before, but I bought a Kelly to get the neck (someone bolted a Fusion Professional (24 3/4" scale, 24 frets, ebony, MOP Sharkies, MOP Jackson inlay) to a black Kelly Performer body. There's a longer story than that, but I don't want to go into details.

My sugggestion is to try EMG89 pickups. They can sound like an EMG85 in humbucker mode, or an EMG-SA in single coil mode.

I have an EMG-SA in a Fusion, and I can't believe how straty it sounds. It's in the neck position, slanted closer to the neck on the bass side. It makes me want to play Blackmore or JH.

If the EMG89 in single coil mode sounds anything like the SA (someone with first hand experience please chime in), I'm sure you will be happy. I'd say get two - one for the neck, and one for the bridge. That way you can have hum/single in either position. Very versatile since you only have one guitar.

Comment

*sniff* thanks everyone, for making me feel welcome!

Comment

<font color="aqua">welcome welcome welcome!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
                            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Welcome aboard and enjoy your stay. Don't forget the pix. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X