Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NECKS: soloist vs. dinky vs. ibanez wizard

hi

I'm concerned about neck playability and thickness on soloist and dinky models...actually, seems that the dinky's is thinner, is this true? Also, if anyone has owned both jackson and ibanez, how do the soloist/dinky necks compare to the various wizard/wizardII ?
    It's not easy to me to do a mathematical comparison becouse I've got jackosn data in inches and ibanez in centimeters, also jackson provides thickness at 3rd fret and ibanez at nut...But, apart from accurate specs, what really counts for me is your guitar player opinion and feel about it!...

Re: NECKS: soloist vs. dinky vs. ibanez wizard

well i've played both wizard II necks and i've played dinkies. The jackson necks feel way better because, even though they're skinny, they feel sturdier than the tinny wizard IIs. Also, the wizard II necks, imo, are too narrow, i mean, i cant even play the G string in metallica's 'one' intro, without lifting all the fingers off of the fretboard, and trust me, my fingers arent chunky at all; i easily pull it off on a dinky neck.
    One thing however, which goes ibanez's way, is the look of the strat type guitars. The RG's (and similar models i.e jems) look awesome because they have a small butt, and the horns are nice and sharp whereas the dinkies have bigger asses and less streamilned horns. This is aesthetic, and completely my opinion, others here will have a much different outlook. Overall, i'd go for a dinky anyday. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

yea you RGs are easy to play up on the last frets cuz the horns arent in the way and heel is shaped like a neckthru

Comment

I had an Ibanez with a Wizard II neck (EX350) and I have to say the Jackson necks I have are thicker (except the JTX neck, but that came off a half-ass Telecaster style Jackson - now on my DK2) but they do feel more solid than the Wiz did.
        Even the JTX neck has a more solid feel than the EX350 neck did.
        Of course, the frets on the EX350 really needed to be finished up as they were really rough in places on the edge of the neck - made sliding very painful [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The Wizard II on my Ibanez Jem 7VWH are VERY similar in feel and appearance to my 2 Jackson Dinkie's necks. The Wizard II feels INCREDIBLY good, as does the Jackson necks. The necks on the neck through Jacksons I have played are thicker.

I believe the Wizard II is slightly thicker than an average Wizard neck.

Comment

I have owned all three necks.

Here's my take.

As far as thickness, both are relatively close and are both easily playable. The JAckson neck definately has a different profile (on my sl2h) then the Wizard. The jackson seems flatter and wider. For some reason I coulkd play a little cleaner on my JAckson then I can on my Ibanez (all takes getting used to)

However, the Wizard necks have a partially satined (sp?) finish compared to the painted neck of the SL2H. That makes a huge difference to me. Although the Jackson neck felt better to me (profile and size wise) I just couldnt stand the painted neck.

Unfortunately the only way to get a tung or satin finish neck on a USA neckthrough is to go Custom Shop. Something im not prepared to spend 2500$ Cdn on just so I can have that treat.

If your really bold you could strip the paint and refinish the neck yourself, but I never had the guts to do that and risk destroying the value of my guitar!

Comment

I have owned a 1991 Jackson USA Fusion and sold it because the neck was too thin and flat for me. Now I have a 1993 Jackson USA Custom AT Solist, and the neck is a little thicker and rounder, much better to me. I have played and ordered a Black SL2H and the necks are pretty medium/thick and round, a little bigger than the Solists form 1993, but I really like the Newer Soloists neck profile. Man I loved that Fusion(Dinky neck profile) but the Dinky neck just didn`t agree with me and I really love 24.75 scale length guitars [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Working...
              X