Would this be a good trade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this be a good trade?

A friend of mine has a 1983 Rhoads Custom in Ferrari Red. It would have originally been a Kahler Trem, but it was replaced with an OFR. Mode was done decently, but has a couple of issues that I could clear up with minimal effort. I have a 1989 Charvel 750XL in excellent condition with all original parts except the strap buttons (replaced with Schaller Strap locks by previous owner)

We're considering trading. We both paid approximately the same for the guitars, but the concern is current re-sale if we were to find outside buyers. (Not that either of us are wanting to sell, trading would keep them "in the loop")

Any experts that can help us out?

Thanks!

PS. I realize that it has to be "what we want" I'm just looking for educated speculation of future value and whatever.
    Thanks again!

Re: Would this be a good trade?

My opinion would be that the RR is worth more, EXCEPT that it has been modded. So, without seeing pics of the Floyd "mod" and the quality of the job it would be hard to say.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      My opinion would be that the RR is worth more, EXCEPT that it has been modded. So, without seeing pics of the Floyd "mod" and the quality of the job it would be hard to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a pic of the top of the guitar right where the bridge goes:

Comment

That looks ok. How are the posts set in there, and how does the back look, at the spring cavity?
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I say the RR is worth more, but the mod having issues would likely decrease value. Also I think long term the RR will keep its value (being USA Custom, as opposed to Japan cookie cutter line).
          KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
          I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

+1

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              That looks ok. How are the posts set in there, and how does the back look, at the spring cavity?

[/ QUOTE ]

The posts are the woodscrew type and they lean forward a bit. The rear route is as good as an aftermarket route can be, but the trem should have a longer sustain block.

I have a feeling I'm going to be keeping the Charvel, and keep my eyes open for another '86 Rhoads like mine was... only with the Steeler trem that was supposed to be in mine...

Comment

I think the RR is worth more easily, even moded. Although I think you would also have to change the posts to the newer style as well for functionality. For playability, the floyd may be a better fit for some as far as resale value if the guitar holds its tune (there are a lot of people who poo-poo anything kalher!). Also, a restore is posible as well - check out some of Chuck (Bloodsplatters restore projects - it can be done!)

Probably comes down to weather you like Vs. If you do, I think you would end up better with the trade, if you do not, keep the import. I personally am not into playing Vs anymore, but I would do this trade with an import charvel if I had one. However, all other things being equal, I admit I would not trade do this trade with an SD charvie str@t shaped guitar that I do not even play.
                "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Thanls for all your advice guys. I may borrow the RR and rally go over it. my friend may end up with a wicked setup out of it, but hey, I gotta figure these thing out... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'll let you guys know if we go for it. With pics of course!

Comment

An 83 Rhoads, even refinished with mods is worth probably twice of what a 750XL in dead mint condition is worth.
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

+5

Get the Rhoads Custom!
                      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I'll keep you posted. Hey, on the same note, who would be a good guy to fill in the floyd route and re-paint the guitar?

Comment

What xenophobe said.
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

The Rhoads custom in its present condition is easily worth double or even triple what your mint 750XL is worth providing there are no other issues other than the one you mentioned. I would trade strictly for resale value.

Comment

Working...
                            X