Question About Jackson Dinky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Jackson Dinky

Hi, I'm a 16 year old guitarist new to this board and currently own a Jackson RR3.

I like it but I've had it for two years and am ready to step up. A couple weeks ago Guitar Center had a used black Jackson Dinky. It had EMG's and was priced at $1199 or $1299. I don't remember much about this guitar since my parents just drove me there to run in to get some strings. I didn't have much time to look, but I hooked this guitar up and it played awesome.

It was hard to say but i think it may have been the same type of neck as my jackson. Lol this guitar is easier to sit down and play than my rhoads. I was very comfortable and played really fast on it. This guitar looked custom (it had a what looked like a phaser switch on it). I know someone could have just thrown it on because it didn't seem to do much when i flipped it. The guitar looked like it was on stage as well, in other words, it looked a little beat up. It was missing a tone knob and 2 of the nuts from the locking tremelo were missing. But i did bend strings and sorta moved the tremelo with my hand. It didn't go out of tune. I don't even know if it was a neck-thru, for the price it should be. I think it had a Floyd Rose.

My question is I have looked on Ebay, Sam Ash Online, Musician's Friend Online, etc. And the most expensive dinky is like 600$ or 700$. Could this guitar have been a Jackson Soloist? I have no idea, but the Soloists I have seen online are around 1400$ or 1500$.

One of my friends actually recommended the dinky for 80's metal sound and this one def has it. I don't know if Guitar Center is ripping me off or if this guitar is worth it. This could be a guitar from the 1980's for all I know. Maybe an 80's Jackson has more value. The tag on the guitar didn't tell too much, I had a quick glance at it but my father actually ended up coming in to the store to see what i was doing. lol

Anyway I have saved up around 1100$ and can afford it. I do love the sound and I think I can talk them down because of the condition.

Any info would help me. Thanks in advance

Re: Question About Jackson Dinky

Hard to tell what it was from your description, and without pictures. Most likely a Dinky or Soloist of some sort. DK-1 guitars (USA Dinky model) have 2 EMGs. But the guitar sounds well-used, so the EMGs could've been added by a prior owner.

In any event, you can do much better with that $1,100. In fact, you should be able to get a very nice USA Dinky or Soloist in great shape. And, with used gear, you'll most likely do much better on Ebay than in Guitar Center. Shop around.

Comment

Offer the general manager $700 + Tax. Just tell them "that's way overpriced, but I'm willing to pay what I see is a fair price. $700+tax. They *might* take it.

Guitar Center is good like that if you know what you want, how much you should pay for it, and just ask.

The GM gets paid a salary and can cut down the price to nearly what they paid, and since he doesn't take a commission himself, can cut that out too. Some GMs are like that. Just ask to speak to him, and avoid the regular sales people. He might do it if you're sincere and he likes you.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I don't even know if it was a neck-thru, for the price it should be. I think it had a Floyd Rose.

[/ QUOTE ]
        Wait...you picked it up and played it, but you're not sure if it was a neck-thru or if it had a Floyd? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
        Next time, check carefully. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

If you want to step up from the RR3, I'd say look for a used neck-thru in good condition (RR1, Soloists, etc). Be sure to check that the frets aren't heavilly worn, because that would be expensive to fix.

Comment

Welcome to the board ECR. You will learn a lot here.
          Just like what Shredder said, shop around. For the money that you have saved, I'm sure you could get a much better axe. Have patience, don't rush and do the "homework" involved in buying a guitar. Good luck and post a pic of your RR3.

Comment

Like I said I was in there for a short time. This guitar had me in awe and I guess Iw as so in love with it I forgot to check it out. Lol. The scales I did on the upper register sounded great.

BTW i just called GC. They said the guitar was a Jackson DK Custom Pre

Comment

If you do decide to make an offer on the guitar, make sure you inspect VERY carefully before you buy it. Guitar Center is not going to do you any favors as far as fixing the guitar or even giving it a proper setup. I have bought used Jacksons from GC that were barely playable. Even a new USA Rhoads was banged up and needed work, but I was able to get a good price on it.

There are great bargains to be found online. Aside from the USA models, the older Japanese Pro series had some real gems, including the Soloist Pro, Dinky XL Pro and others.
              sigpic

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Like I said I was in there for a short time. This guitar had me in awe and I guess Iw as so in love with it I forgot to check it out. Lol. The scales I did on the upper register sounded great.

BTW i just called GC. They said the guitar was a Jackson DK Custom Pre

[/ QUOTE ]
                Sometimes GC are a bunch of idiots and don't really know much either. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] If it was a bolt-on neck, then it's a Dinky. If it was a neck-thru, then it's a Soloist.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

From what I've heard, a lot of the time they can't tell USA built instruments from imports either. Be careful so you don't pay for something that should only fetch half that amount.

Comment

is this at the brunswick GC? if so i saw that axe, its a black DK-1 (read: bolt on) they wanted $1200, overpriced IMHO

Comment

Yup That is the one, I am going to definitely offer them less.

Comment

You need to hook up with a JCF'er to go in with you and check out the guitar.

Buy him lunch and a brew!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          You need to hook up with a JCF'er to go in with you and check out the guitar.

Buy him lunch and a brew!

[/ QUOTE ]
                          I'll go. I live about 10 minutes from that store. I don't really care for that place either... they really are idiots in that store with way high prices.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Here it is on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/1997-Jackson-USA-DK1...1QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              it looked a little beat up. It was missing a tone knob and 2 of the nuts from the locking tremelo were missing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is "par for the course" for GC axes [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Check this out from the auction:

"lightly used Jackson Dinky DK-1 This guitar is in outstanding shape and shows hardly any wear. (There is one control knob missing that will be replaced before shipping.) There are no markings whatsoever on the jet-black body"

[img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X