Just spent an hour on the phone with Fender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just spent an hour on the phone with Fender

Effective imediately, the new M.A.P. (Minimum Advertised Price) for all Jackson dealers is 25% off list. (Multipy the List by .75) I just spent the entire morning on the phone with Fender VP of Sales with reguars to this and many other issues. Jeff Cary is a great guy. Of course with any MAP policy, any dealer can sell anything for whatever they want, they just have to advertise it per the new price guide.

You have yours truly to blame for that one. Every Jackson dealer across the US has been making a stink about my prices for a long time now. They have been talking about it for about a year now.

It was only a matter of time. Every other guitar manufacturer has the same thing.

On a side note, the demand for Jacksons has skyrocketed. For the last year Jackson would have anywhere from 2-50 USA'a in stock at any one moment. After my call this morning they have none. Fender's goal is to make the USA's availble withing 90 days for any model any color. That would be nice.

Matt

Re: Just spent an hour on the phone with Fender

Cool Matt

Comment

Matt,
      I'm in the hockey biz, and we been told MAP priceing is no longer legal in the US and CANNOT be enforced, I spoke in detail with this to my layer and was told,"Once product is sold to you ,you can charge any price. I was in the same boat with other dealers bithing about prices. Alot of the hockey companys now just make you put up call for price.

[ January 29, 2003, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: skidd ]
      www.kiddhavok.com
      www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

I can already hear the BS lines from some of the more scuzzy dealers out there:

"Dude, Jackson won't let me sell it below this price."

-or-

"That other dealer's price must be on a used or damaged guitar. The lowest price Jackson allows me to sell it for is 25% off list."

[img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

It may be an industry "standard" and I can understand why Fender did it, but IMHO it helps less truthful dealers give [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] half-truths to less-informed buyers. And leads to reduced competition among dealers. ...Which, of course, is why all those other dealers complained to Fender.

[ January 29, 2003, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: shreddermon ]

Comment

Thanks Matt,

If there is anything I can do to help get us back as the "official" website that I'm not aware of please let me know. I am in contact with one of the Fender boys frequently and to be honest ..he has been nothing short of great to deal with.. hopefully we can again be the official site ..

Kev
          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Ok, I see how it works now...duh [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

So, I guess your site still needs to be updated then cause those definitely aren't 25% off list...LOL.

I hope the sale price though didnt' go up too much though...I'm itching for either a SL1 or RR1 soon. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Does a 90 day wait for every guitar mean worse quality?

Comment

Thanks Kev. They might want to converse with you guys. I will also add that everyone I have talked to at Fender has been nothing short of a class act and very professional. The whole intention of all the new changes is to try and get Jackson back to it's former glory. While I don't see Jackson returning to the glory it had in the 80's, I think we will take what we can get at this point. Sure would be nice to see some Jacksons on tv in other places than older 80's videos.

Yes my web site and few other still show the old prices. They didn't state it had to be done imediately or dealers will be cut off, but it should be done in a reasonable time. Hell, today was the first word I got of it and I am sure I am not the last to be told. It sure will take some time to go through and edit every page on my site.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by BK:
                  Does a 90 day wait for every guitar mean worse quality?
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That was brought up as well and I was told they will not increase supply if it means they have to sacrifice quality.

Matt

[ January 29, 2003, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: OnlineStageGear ]

Comment

does this mean that matts prices arnt going to as reasonable?( im in remeadial classes [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

Comment

That was brought up as well and I was told they will not increase supply if it means they have to sacrifice quality
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">But is that believable? I guess at the end of the day if they can ship out loadsa guitars quickly then that means more money for them and im sure that would be their main priority, i guess they are a business?

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer77:
                        does this mean that matts prices arnt going to as reasonable?( im in remeadial classes [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No, this means Matt's advertised prices will be higher - not the actual prices.
                        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

oh mmmmmmmmmmmmk

Comment

As far as I know there isn't one company out there that will dictate what you have to actually charge a customer, just what you advertise it at.

Matt

Comment

Don't blame yourself. If you can lower your prices as much, then Musician's friend, Hermes, and others can most certainly do the same if they want to. Sure there are small shops out there, but it's easier for me to imagine large bulk-buying dealers complaining about being undercut and getting more results than some small shop owners who clear a dozen Jackson sales per year.

Comment

Working...
                              X