last time ....please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• last time ....please

this is the last time im going to post unless i get answers ive been waiting since tuesday for a resposnse to my posts on the bc rich board and one here yet no one seems to have even read them i need to know how i check if i should change my tubes are they supposed to be a certain color are they supposed to be as bright as a light bulb? [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Re: last time ....please

This probably belongs in the Tech Q&A Section, and there are lots of more qualified people to answer this, but here's what I think:

Yes, they should be glowing brightly, because there is a cathode/filament that is resistively heated by a current. They should usually glow an orangish color. If they glow blue (a very strong blue), it can be a sign of a damaged tube, but not always (there are impurities in the tube that can glow blue when heated).

Comment

i had posted this earlier in the amp forum and ys my tubes are blue

Comment

do you happen to know how to remove the tubes?

Comment

You just pull them out. Replacing them with new ones is a whole other story. If they're preamp tubes, you're fine just swapping. For power tubes the amp will probably need to be rebiased. That might be something for a tech to handle.

Comment

[img]graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]

I posted this in the amp forum too...

Many tubes will glow a nice dark blue...It's from impurities, like cobalt, flourescing when electrons from the cathode hit parts in the tube. Svetlana tubes usually do it for one. It's just part of the way they operate inside.

However, ionized air that has leaked into the tube is a strong purple, almost pink. That means the tube is on it's way out and it's time to replace it, like now...

Comment

I'd recommend some 2" Vise-Grips for removing the tubes [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

My Tube install tool...

Comment

Your hair on your hand is a bit weird isnt it, only on the edges?

Plus your technique is flawed, you are not allowed to get your fingers on the valves or something. You should be wearing gloves or touching the bottom bit only?

When I needed my valves changing I just took the easy option and sent it back to manufacturer and blagged my warranty time, if you speak nicely over the phone you can normally sort something out. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

http://members.aol.com/larrysb/blue_glow.html
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                    X