When did Sharkfins first appear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did Sharkfins first appear?

What guitar and what year did the sharkfin inlays first appear? Was it a custom option for someone? Are there any pics of the first one?

Re: When did Sharkfins first appear?

Rickenbacker is the 1st company to have sharkfins. I am pretty sure they are the 1st for 24 frets and for humbuckers too.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      What guitar and what year did the sharkfin inlays first appear? Was it a custom option for someone? Are there any pics of the first one?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are talking Jacksons, it'd probably be Randy's black Rhoads (the first, a white one, featured block inlays). So we'd be talking 1981. I'm sure there are pics around somewhere. BRB.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

http://www.kolumbus.fi/kari.tammilehto/rreq.htm

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...5/practice.htm
        (Click on Pg3)

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I'm pretty sure humbuckers were from Gibson, but weren't Rickenbacker also the first to use the neck-thru design?
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

IIRC, the Gibson Firebird was the first neckthrough (not counting "The Log" - Les Paul's Epiphone hollowbody that he cut in half and spliced to a railroad tie for the centerblock).
            I thought Ric did set-necks? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

And I'll hafta agree on Gibson having the first humbucker - another of Les Paul's inventions IIRC.

While other makers (Ric, etc) did have humbucker-SIZED pickups, the actual impetus for the winding method which "bucks" the hum was Les Paul's idea.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I thought it was Seth Lover from Gibson who came up with the whole "hum-bucking" idea. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

the humbucker was seth lovers idea and patent
                You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

I sit corrected then - according to the inserts for an LP box set, Les is responsible for the electrodynamic pickup and floating bridge pickup, not necessarily the humbucking aspect. I shoulda re-read it before posting - oops [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

guitar geeks [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Everybody has to be a geek about something, may as well be about guitars [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Think about it, there's Movie/TV geeks, sex geeks, car geeks, bike geeks, construction geeks, demolition geeks, sports geeks, weather geeks, news geeks, even geek geeks [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      I mean, after all, who else is there to turn to for obscure, abstract, oft-forgotten-but-always-inquired information on various subjects? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Hear hear!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] And god bless all the guitar geeks out there, and in here! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Rickenbacker is the 1st company to have sharkfins. I am pretty sure they are the 1st for 24 frets and for humbuckers too.

[/ QUOTE ]they had triangles not shark fins [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Yup. Fins are curved, Ric's are not.

Comment

yep. so anyway, it woulda been randy's black v. interesting tidbit: rev sharkfins happened by accident. the story is that grover and mike s were workin late to finish the rhoads models for 83 namm, and the fins were routed reverse by accident. obviously, they went with it, and rev sharks were born.

sully
                              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                              Sully Guitars on Facebook
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              X