Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When did Sharkfins first appear?

[ QUOTE ]
    yep. so anyway, it woulda been randy's black v. interesting tidbit: rev sharkfins happened by accident. the story is that grover and mike s were workin late to finish the rhoads models for 83 namm, and the fins were routed reverse by accident.
    sully

[/ QUOTE ] ...or glued a lefty fretboard on a righty guitar? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But unlikely: Most luthiers mount the fretboard before they rout inlays and drill side dots, at that time they´re still "unidirectional" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Wouldn't it be more efficient to have the fretboards inlayed and shelved in inventory?

Are you telling me that when Jackson builds a run of say RR1's, that the inlays are cut after the fretboard is glued to the completed neck thru and side winged guitar? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I only ask out of curiousity?
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

It would depend on how J/C does things these days, but most independent luthiers traditionally glue on the fretboard first and then rout inlays.... This is of course not necessearily ideal for a "line" style approach as J/C must use, if only simply to maximize production to some extent...

It can be done the other way around just as well with equally good results, but you run the risk of having the inlays being off center of you screw up the alignment while clamping..

I´m just thinking that back in the day (we are talking about 25 years ago, after all) J/C may have also still done it that way... I remember recently seeing a stack of Pre-routed boards on the Jackson Site, though

I´ve never worked for J/C, I cant´tell you how they do it.. I can only tell you how I was trained and how I´ve been doing it for the last <10 years [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]... I always do Inlays and other unnecessary cosmetic BS absolute last (before finishing), because that´s the part where the guitar can just piss you of, esp. if you´re doing intricate things, and it´s important to be able to take your time to keep that to a minimum [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

On page 2 of the 2003 Catalog (current) theres a pic of Pablo doing inlays. Shown are two jobs :
            Iommi crosses, where the fretboard appears to have been already glued to the neck,
            & Skulls, where there the inlays are completed and the fretboard is not attached to a neck.

So I guess the verdict i still out on that issue..
            [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X