Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats the deal

Originally posted by Word:
    Honestly I think all of the "Ouch I hurt my wrist when I feel off a horse", "It got hurt at the doctor's office" and "I got hurt in a car wreck" is BS....

Probably just one way of saying he wants to spend time with his family.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well Dave Mustaine is his own boss, and has never shied away from saying anything
    just because it might make someone mad. I think if he'd just wanted to spend time
    with his family he'd have said so.

Do you have any hard evidence to support
    your opinion?
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

As to why he may have been selling off his guitars (these are just possibilities):

1. He needed the money for other stuff (I am not implying drugs).

2. He had said in an interview (can't remember when) that he was looking into other endorsement deals, since Jackson was changing management.
      *** I'm pretty sure this was a while before the Fender buyout ***

Some of this is kind of strange to me considering I checked the Jackson site Friday morning and nothing had changed.
      KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
      I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

It wouldnt have made sense to kick megadeth would it? Just got the new line up really together and they were making fantastic music, so why quit?

He buggered up his arm and I guess jackson dont see any point in endorsing an artist who doesn't do any guitar work anymore.

Or perhaps Dave fell out with them over something recently?

Or perhaps the Y2KV was not doing well? So fender thought they would drop the lot?

Someone ask Dave thats the way to find out! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

this board is great, we can have a civil, meaninful discussion without any flaming... unlike the metallica boards.

Comment

I can't help but wonder if, now that Fender owns Jackson, Gibson decided it was time to put a stop to Y2KV production. I mean, just because Mustaine isn't playing and/or no longer has an endorsement deal doesn't mean that they'd stop making what I believe has been a very successful, popular guitar. I smell a lawsuit, or the threat of one. Jackson may not have seemed like much of a concern to Gibson, but Fender is definitely competition, and Fender's distribution network could start getting Y2KVs into stores in "Gibson territory".

Purely speculation on my part, but they stopped ESP from selling their LTD Explorer copies here in the States...
            sigpic

Comment

Those are really good point(s). Fender didn't have any problem mimicking a PRS shape with the Heartfield EX. and, Musicman didn't stop making the EVH/Axis when Ed dropped the endorsement. So who knows?

[ February 04, 2003, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

Im hoping that this means there will be a string through KV released to replace it. If not, then EBMM John petrucci six strng with piezo it will be for me.

Comment

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...q=jackson+y2kv

WTF

Comment

Hey Destroyer, although I'm a Jackson fan I do have an EBMM Petrucci with piezzo. It sounds fantastic.
                    I wish Jackson would nab Petrucci as an endorsee. One of my favorite guitarists!

Rudy
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker:
                      Hey Destroyer, although I'm a Jackson fan I do have an EBMM Petrucci with piezzo. It sounds fantastic.
                      I wish Jackson would nab Petrucci as an endorsee. One of my favorite guitarists!

Rudy
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">what finish do you have it in, im thinking about getting either white, pearl redburst, or silver like petrucci's seven string. I think it would be awesome to get one painted in the blak and white picasso like petruccis old ibanez seven string, hmmm..... GMW could probably do it right? I know how great they sound, i play one everytime i go to the gutiar store at my grammas house

Comment

I remember reading a artical up here in Canada about the last album they did and Dave said that if this album bombed [and in many ways it did,it wasn't that bad though] he would quit playing music and fold the band , he also went on to tell people that he could never write any more music like countdown or rust in peace and that he had a hard time trying to write anything like that and that he has tryed to do it with no luck , but I think that that wrist thing was just a easy way to bow out , but I still don't think we have seen the last of him yet , how many times have we [us on the forum] said that we have quit or were going to quit playing guitar ? I have done that a million times over the years with no sucsess ! LOL !!! he's [Dave Mustaine] addicted to metal and guitar just like we are and thats a drive that never ever goes away , the more shows you do the more bands you play with the more tours you do , the more addicted you get !!! and I love it myself with money and without money it's all good !!! and I am sure Dave M loves it even more !!! //Steve

Comment

Actually, the latest FULL Megadeth Album (The World needs a Hero) has already went gold.
                          It is doing very well, and has been marked as thier return to metal, and it has broguht back more fo the metal audience, while still keeping a bit of the Cryptic Writings/Risk fanbase entact.

Steve

Comment

My EBMM is in Mystic Dream. I lover that color! I had my custom shop Rhoads done in Mystic which was originally a limited color on the 96 Mustang Cobra.

Rudy
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Okay, I don't have any "inside information," but here's my take:

Dave has said over and over that he is very success-driven. He's constantly gauged Megadeth's success by comparison with Metallica; He started freebasing heroin because Gar Samuelson told him that's what he needed to do to become a truly great musician; All the songs on Youthanasia were made 120 beats per minute because Max Norman told Dave that doing so would get Megadeth songs on the radio (Max Norman was fired when that wasn't achieved to Dave's satisfaction); Dave went with Dann Huff to produce because he was impressed with Dann's record sales. The last record's sales might be good, but they're not great by comparison even with previous Megadeth records.

In Dave's online diary from the last tour, he mentioned something about some people in the audience who were standing next to the pool tables. He has stated in interviews that he never wants to play clubs again, and here he is playing a place where he can see pool tables from the stage.

As for the music, The World Needs a Hero is the only Megadeth record... in fact the only record that Dave Mustaine has had anything to do with... that I don't absolutely love from start to finish. It has its moments, but the material on it just sounds... more contrived even than Risk. Dave gave up the benefit of a bigshot producer (Dann Huff; like Metallica with Bob Rock) to dig out the hooks, because he didn't want to relocate his family from Arizona to Nashville for the recording process, and had to go it alone. I think Dave's scraping the barrel bottom for material, and I think he knows it.

As for the band, Dave had surrounded himself with yes-men, and that's never good for promoting creativity. He's said that Junior only remained as original member because he was dependable (unlike Nick Menza) and didn't hit on his woman (unlike Jeff Young). Jimmy and Al were New York session players (i.e. replaceable). Listen to what Marty Friedman said on the VH-1 special about his working relationship with Dave and how the tension between them is what produced all those great songs.

Then the guitar missing from the Jackson website... that's pretty weird. Could be a glitch or oversight in the coding; Could be a lack of Dave's visibility as a public figure caused him to get dropped; Could be Gibson pressing Fender not to make a [superior] Flying V; Could be Dave shopping for another endorsement deal. He was previously shopping around for a new company to endorse him before the Y2KV was developed (1997 or so).
                              please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Working...
                              X