Who runs JCF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who runs JCF?

Could someone please give me a short story of this JC forum, please? I'm relatively new here and thought that JCF was owned and hosted by Jackson (now Fender), but some older posts indicate that JCF is 100% private run? Were JCF Jackson property before the buyout? Will Fender control JCF? etc. etc. I can see it's sponsored by onlinestagegear.com but what's the score?
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Re: Who runs JCF?

in a nutshell, it's for the fans, and by the fans.
    the admins are not, nor have we ever been jackson employees. we had a link to us on the original jackson site, but when it was redone after the buyout, the link was not added. i think it's more of a uniformity thing; there isn't a link to the fender board on the fender site....or so i'm told.

anyway, no, they don't own us, it is privately run, and we do accept sponsorship.

welcome!

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I'm sure someone can write the whole history in definite terms.

But, I'll say quickly, that the forum is privately held and supported. Has no affiliation with Jackon at all.

It was started by individuals who were fans of the company and its products.

Online stage gear is a financial sponsor of the board.

It's been around a couple years now.

Although private, it was considered the "official" Jackson Board by AMIC Jackson, and that changed for the time being after the FMIC buyout.

Hope that helps a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by jsullysix:
        i think it's more of a uniformity thing; there isn't a link to the fender board on the fender site....or so i'm told.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are the Fender board also independant or is it run by Fender? This might sound off topic, but if the Fender company are running the Fender forum, i can't help thinking they might create a Jackson forum as well?
        Henrik
        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

There's quite a few different Fender boards I've seen. Here's two different ones that I visit, mostly just the first one, though. http://www.fenderforum.com/

http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/index.php?s=
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

From what I've heard, the Fender Forums are privately run.
            Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Fender definately has a hand in the FDP. Try critisizing Fender, and watch as your post gets deleted by magic............Happens every time.......

Comment

Originally posted by Accept2:
                Fender definately has a hand in the FDP. Try critisizing Fender, and watch as your post gets deleted by magic............Happens every time.......
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">While Fender does have a presence on the FDP I believe it is a privately run board. They do accept donations thru paypal .. BTW has anyone ever noted the size of the membership there? 29000 members?

[ February 04, 2003, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: KMaynard ]
                Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

What value would the content have if it was affiliated directly with the manufacturer of the subject matter for which the subject matter is created?

The separation of manufacturer and forum is vital to an unbiased discussion where participants can exchange opinions and ideas freely.
                  Otherwise there would be biased mistrust of the forums content. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

I guess in some peoples eyes you gain credibility and in some you lose.
                    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

The fact that this board is independently run and wasn't OFFICIALLY the official board (just unofficially official, officially) meant that while I was at Jackson I had the liberty to say pretty much anything I wanted to in here (a situation I took full advantage of). I was told once that I shouldn't say that I worked for Jackson and that we should stay incognito. This was by one of the Akai employees, not a Jackson employee. So I ignored him. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] In fact, there was once a massive b1tchfest in here regarding the ownership of Jackson and AMIC, with me wondering exactly when I was going to get fired for crap I'd said. The only thing that came of it was a slight "Could you lay off on the Indian guitars a bit?" from Kevin. Nothing I ever said in here effectd my job. I don't know if that speaks more towards the independence this board has, or to the people I worked with.

Comment

It IS a huge membership there isn't it? I'd rather post here and be able to keep my freedom of objectivity than go weed thru posts in a forum that is run like North Korea or Iraq. If somebody has something that is objectively negative to say, they should be able to.. I think that's called the first amendment, but if you sign up under a user agreement, you have to adhere to their rules. Ebay is pretty much the same way. Years ago, you used to be able to post a comment about anything on anyones acct. Man, that was pretty liberal freedom as the system allowed people posting 5,6,7 negatives per transaction, calling each other psycho's etc..you could leave a feedback comment about someone you didn't even do business with. Then they changed the format and clamped down. Now you can only post one feedback per completed transaction within a certain period of time. anyways.. [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

[ February 04, 2003, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
                          The fact that this board is independently run and wasn't OFFICIALLY the official board (just unofficially official, officially) meant that while I was at Jackson I had the liberty to say pretty much anything I wanted to in here (a situation I took full advantage of). I was told once that I shouldn't say that I worked for Jackson and that we should stay incognito. This was by one of the Akai employees, not a Jackson employee. So I ignored him. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] In fact, there was once a massive b1tchfest in here regarding the ownership of Jackson and AMIC, with me wondering exactly when I was going to get fired for crap I'd said. The only thing that came of it was a slight "Could you lay off on the Indian guitars a bit?" from Kevin. Nothing I ever said in here effectd my job. I don't know if that speaks more towards the independence this board has, or to the people I worked with.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, contrast that with the fact that Fender constantly surfs Ebay, forcing them to pull ads that say Strat or Stratocaster in reference to copies! If
                          they're that litigious on the used market
                          then the threat of legal action could easily force any "independent" Fender forum to delete Fender-unfriendly posts.
                          Such lawsuits might be ultimately deemed
                          frivolous, but Fender has deep pockets and legal staff they pay anyway, so might
                          as well use 'em fully. Their philosophy
                          not mine!
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Yeah, I'm wondering when Fender is going to start sending their team of lawyers out after the guys selling those horribly inaccurate fake Charvel and Jackson logos on eBay.

Comment

The roots of the JCF started on a dude named Rob Lane's website, called www.jacksoncharvelworld.com ( you can check out www.jacksoncharvelworld.net for the archived version, but the board isn't there anymore). After that, another cool dude named Larry had a message board on his site, www.charveljacksonclassics.com, and then another cool dude named Brett Dennis had a message board on his site, www.vintagecharveljackson.com, where I first got into this whole thing. You can check out Brett's current site at www.sandimascharvel.com, and he and a few other guys including our own KMaynard run Charvel Central, the all-San Dimas Charvel message board. But back to the story, Brett and co. were getting unhappy with the format of their Jackson/Charvel board, so they got in contact with the dude who ran Jackson's official message board, Sandman 0170, and together they built the original Jackson/Charvel forum on ezboard. About a year and a half later, the board switched to the UBB format that it's on now....

Hey if I missed anything or screwed something up, please feel free to correct me.

Comment

Working...
                              X