No announcement yet.

Europeans, did you import a Jackson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Europeans, did you import a Jackson?

There's just no easy way out of it.

Jamil, I believe you get billed afterwards, but I'm unsure of this.

Comment

Originally posted by jamil:
      i am going to huston texas for the summer to visit a friend and i i would buy a rr-1 with white bevels ( around 1400 $) would i have to pay taxes at the airport ????

sorry if this a stupid question but my english is not so good ....i might have misunderstood you
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes you will probably have to pay taxes. You can always try to sneak past the declaration zone but if they catch you, you will have serious trouble.
      What you should do if you want to buy a guitar in USA is to buy a similar guitar at home, take it with you when you go to USA, buy the new guitar, dump the old one and then go back with the new.
      For example, if you want to buy a new red fender stratocaster in USA: Buy a cheap fender copy at home (the cheapest red one you could find). Then, at the airport, you check in the crappy guitar as a "red guitar". They will probably not write down the exact model, just that it is a "red guitar". Then you can go to USA, buy the new guitar and take it back without having to pay customs/VAT because you "brought the guitar with you to USA and now you are taking it back". This ofcourse only works if they just declare it as a "red guitar", and I cant think that they would do anything else.

Comment

When I went to the states I bought a new SL1, and just took it home on the plane. No tax, no customs...nothing. Worked without a hitch! I did, however, make a special arrangement with the captain of the flight so I wouldn´t have to check it in as luggage, but instead take it with me as carry-on. That little stunt might have sneaked the guitar past some controls, and I´m lucky the whole thing worked out...but you know what they say, "who dares wins" [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Monk:
          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jamil:
          i am going to huston texas for the summer to visit a friend and i i would buy a rr-1 with white bevels ( around 1400 $) would i have to pay taxes at the airport ????

sorry if this a stupid question but my english is not so good ....i might have misunderstood you
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes you will probably have to pay taxes. You can always try to sneak past the declaration zone but if they catch you, you will have serious trouble.
          What you should do if you want to buy a guitar in USA is to buy a similar guitar at home, take it with you when you go to USA, buy the new guitar, dump the old one and then go back with the new.
          For example, if you want to buy a new red fender stratocaster in USA: Buy a cheap fender copy at home (the cheapest red one you could find). Then, at the airport, you check in the crappy guitar as a "red guitar". They will probably not write down the exact model, just that it is a "red guitar". Then you can go to USA, buy the new guitar and take it back without having to pay customs/VAT because you "brought the guitar with you to USA and now you are taking it back". This ofcourse only works if they just declare it as a "red guitar", and I cant think that they would do anything else.
          </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What would happen if his Texas friend "gave" him the guitar while he was visiting? Would a birthday card (belated
          or early or on-time, depending) be enough
          documentation to avoid taxes, or would they just charge it as a gift tax anyway?
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy:

The lowered invoice providing its packaged well and using a reputable courier it shouldnt get damaged.....however there is that risk.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The risk of damage is one thng, but if it were lost or stolen, you'd be out the difference in insured value, as mentioned
            previously.

God/Fate/Karma/Murphy's Law indicate that
            your guitar would be the one to disappear
            if you tried to save $ that way.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X