X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: inlay scallop question re dinky w/sustainer

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    If you've played with jumbo frets, they accomplish a similar task (scallops are just even more effective). It is very easy IMO to adjust to a scalloped neck

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here, although I must admit that I've heard a lot of people say the opposite.

[/ QUOTE ]

True: I am one of those!

Actually if this theory was right they should scallop fignerboards with small frets, while I never seen a, to asy, LP Custom, with scallop, on the other side Malmsteen is using the dunlop 6000, the widest and highest frets on the market, I think because having a large fret adds stability to the string...

All IMO, of course!
    '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
    '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
    '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
    '92 Fender Strat scallop
    '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
    '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

When you play a scalloped board, you'll find that you will automatically use a lighter touch... or at least that was my experience.

For that reason they are a great training tool at the very least. less pressure = less tension in your fingers = more speed.

Comment

I just finished scalloping a KV3 neck - import with the plastic fins, no binding, 22 frets.

Medium depth (i consider those in the pic above to be a heavy depth).
        1-4 frets - just sanded to have a uniform finish the other scalloped frets
        5-11 frets - medium on treble edge with gradual transition to unscalloped bass edge
        12-22 frets - medium on treble to light on bass, with the highest frets close to having a uniform depth

No loss of fins, or "break-throughs". It's freaking beautiful. i'll post pics when i get my camera fixed.

I finished it last night - after seeing the picture above the other day, I decided "wtf" there's no way i'm going to be retarded enough to go that deep. way too unecessary. I always start from the highest fret to the lowest - allows me to begin with the most extreme depth i'm willing to do, gradually getting exactly to the minimalist work in the rhythm area of the neck. Much easier to predict your shift in depths (if you're going for the assymetrical method of a light or nonexistent scallop in the rhythm area) by going from max to minimum, instead of starting at minimum and accidently reaching your max prematurely on earlier frets.
        www.WarCurse.com

Comment

Quite curious about the pics...can you make the job even on bounded fiingerboards?
          '92 Fender Strat scallop
          '97 BC Rich perfect Bich

Comment

I have one guitar that is partially scalloped (10th fret & up on the high strings only). I play it normally--exactly the same way I play any other guitar, and have never been sharp.

Comment

i don't see why not. if the binding is considerably harder than the wood, it might make things more difficult, but i believe it's always doable.

so far, i've done 1 maple and 2 rosewoods. the maple was the most difficult to do b/c it was the hardest wood. The rosewood filed away easily. the inlays were harder, so when you had the file grazing both wood and plastic, it felt funny. I had to spend more time filing the inlay down since it was so much harder than the wood, to keep things easy.

My point is that that binding would provide same obstacle: a difference in hardness in 2 surfaces that need to remain flush. more so with softer woods.

anyway, i'm bringing my necks to the next division rehearsal so eaeolian and noodles can critique the job.

I've only seen one scalloped neck in person. After that, i made my 3. so, i don't have a lot of reference. but if i were to infere from the screw jobs i've seen online (the one i saw in person was a YJM at guitar center), it mostly stems from people not knowing what shape they were going for when they started the process, and definitely not taking enough time to get it done right. It takes me no less than 2 days per neck.

after constant fret taping & retaping, filing, inspeciting, filing more, etc, I can see why jobs get rushed and mistakes get made.
              www.WarCurse.com

Comment

The Custom Shop can do anything. Look at how deeply scalloped this Soloist is, and note the inlay:

"Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                Gotta get away from here.
                Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I have an 89 Rhoads that is factory scalloped from the 12th fret up. It still has Sharkies so I know it can be done. Anyway, I noticed no difference in playing it compared to my other axes.

Rudy
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    The Custom Shop can do anything. Look at how deeply scalloped this Soloist is, and note the inlay:

[/ QUOTE ]

That is beautiful. Thanks for posting those.

If I had the dough, that's exactly what I'd get. I may try to contact the custom shop to see if they can help. Man, those inlays... !!

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Not as deep as the scalloped on my Strat, but beautiful job...I am thinking to a scallop for the next CS job... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      '92 Fender Strat scallop
                      '97 BC Rich perfect Bich

Comment

The Rhoads I have is scalloped the same exact way as Joe's Soloist pictures show. Does anyone else here notice a difference playing scalloped frets because I sure don't. When I play that Rhoads I don't even notice the scallops at all.

Rudy
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

I don't have anything to add to your original question, but I have some pics of a custom Rhoads (pretty sure it belongs to someone on this board) with the scalloped frets with inlays.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            The Rhoads I have is scalloped the same exact way as Joe's Soloist pictures show. Does anyone else here notice a difference playing scalloped frets because I sure don't. When I play that Rhoads I don't even notice the scallops at all.

Rudy

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, there is a pretty big difference to the good. I bought a used Affinity strat, deeply scalloped the whole neck and put in some hot rails. Now it's the only guitar I ever play. Everything is cleaner... I love it.

So, a scalloped Jackson with the 580 trem is going to kill. For me, at least.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]

Rudy

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, there is a pretty big difference to the good. I bought a used Affinity strat, deeply scalloped the whole neck and put in some hot rails. Now it's the only guitar I ever play. Everything is cleaner... I love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1.
                              '92 Fender Strat scallop
                              '97 BC Rich perfect Bich

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                [ QUOTE ]

Rudy

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet you're playing a Squire! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                                "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                                Gotta get away from here.
                                Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                                Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
                                X