Korina properties? Tone and Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korina properties? Tone and Weight

Can someone describe the tone of a Korina solidbody, and its weight? Im really digging that Korina Soloist in the Custom Shop archive over at Jacksonguitars.com, interested in a Korina of my own!

Re: Korina properties? Tone and Weight

> From what I have read from the guys around here,Korina is about like mahogany tone wise,but very light supposedly. I was also diggin' on the several Korina Soloists/Dinkys here. Tommy D.
    "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Well its common name is actually LIMBA. ( Terminalia superba ) from africa. the supplies of this lumber secure and is not in any danger yet of over logging.

There is black korina and white korina. Both kinds come from the same log. The white is a creamy color and has some olive colored streaks. The black variety has the darker appearence.

The tone is similar to mahogony. The lighter stuff is typically the Black stuff. The white is classified as a heavy lumber. With Limba its the luck of the draw on the wieght many times. Great for furniture and of course guitars. It takes stain readily but requires a wodd filler to fill the grain. It polishes quite well. If you want a lighter piece you better specify that to the customshop prior to ordering.

Hope that helps.

Comment

I've got a Hamer Korina Vector that's light in color and it weighs 7lb 10oz.

Comment

It actually is a species of mahogany and essentially identical tonally. Weight can vary significantly, you can't generalize it with "light" or "heavy".

Comment

any discussion of weight is always a generalization.

Comment

Korina and Mahogany both sounds soooooo sweet. Both of my customs will be mahogany. One is mahogany neck/body, the other maple neck mahogany body... sweet tone.... [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Korina to my ears sounds a bit tighter and more resonant to my ears than just ordinary mahogany. In any case. My favorite tone wood as well.

Comment

and a pic for you too. Korina Jackson Explorer

Comment

More Korinas

Comment

Isn't Korina actually called African Mahogany in alot of places, what ever the name it is great tone wood,
                      I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Actually Korina (dubbed that name by Gibson) is White Limba.
                        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Working...
                        X