Comparison of USA/Jstars/MIJ imports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparison of USA/Jstars/MIJ imports

There are a lot of different thoughts on the different lines that Jackson has. I thought it would be cool to kinda discuss the pros and cons of each line, Including the JacksonStars line, cuz it looks like there are several people now that have em.. The MIJ comparisons I think should be relagated to the upper end stuff, like the RR5,SLSMG and the KE3,RR3,DK2(s), and the sig stuff..
    you can compare the other stuff, but use a seperate catagory, like a price point catagory..

Dont get me wrong the WRMG is awesome, but I was trying to use the JS line as

USA Select VS Jackson Stars VS UpperEnd MIJ Imports VS Mid Range Imports VS Lower End Imports

I dont mean the "my guitar is better than yours comparison or My guitars>>>>>you, or my DK6 pwns you.." I mean intelligent comparisons...
    you never know, this might help someone make the choice to pony up to a higher end, or make someone save a little cash and get another Jackson that will do the job and cost less..
    And not just the typical catalog comparisons, like hands on comparisons... things like workmanship, wood quality, hardware stuff...

What do you guys think (that may have been a mistake [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])
    Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Re: Comparison of USA/Jstars/MIJ imports

Can you say....

FLOP...

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

instock inventory

Comment

Can you say Patience??? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Dont forget about the DKMG's for the MIJ's.

I like the imports, as thats all Ive owned. my older DR3 Professional is a great guitar, nice quality fit and finish... was my first Jackson. RR3, a nice guitar as well, little less on the quality side which you can see with the fretwork. Still a nice guitar and plays just fine. Now the DKMG, thats a different beast alltogether... the guitar plays AMAZING, neck feels great and is a little thicker than the other two. Very nice binding work, super low fast action, comfortable carved top... my favorite of the bunch.

Of all of them though, the stock pickups arent very good. The DKMG with the EMG HZ H3's are ok, but nothing to write home about either. All the bridges (JT580LP's) have all worked great and never had a problem with one of them, no excessive wear.
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I have a couple of each of the lines (i only have one Jstar) but I say that While the USA select line is by far superior in workmanship to that of the lower end lines. The Jstar I have was impecable.. It has the options of the USA line real Floyd. ebony board, and was a little cheaper... It is a little lesser in quality of wood. but it plays as good as the PRS I just sold... I also will say that they DK6 that I bought is incredible.. I also think the SLSMG is prolly one of the most underrated guitars that Jackson makes... the Pups are Ok, but when I changed mine out to SDs that thing screamed...

instock inventory

Comment

Why not bring the Grover Jacksons in the mix too. Some were MIJ some are USA... I wonder if there are any USA JacksonStars in Japan...
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Maybe I've been lucky, as every Jackson I've owned over the years has been great in terms of workmanship and playability. Those that I've sold were fine guitars, but just didn't work for me in some way. My first Jackson was a JS1 Dinky, and I've had the pleasure of owning some very nice Pro and USA models too. My customized/modded Concepts are my "babies" and favorite to play.

Would I buy a brand new Jackson based on what I've seen of the current line? The only USA models I could justify would be a PC1, SLS or SL2H based on my playing needs. The Kevin Bonds and Christian Olde Wolbers are neat, but no trems! I'd love a DK2S...

...but I refuse to spend more than $200 on a guitar that has plastic inlays. How is that acceptable? If Dean and ESP (LTD) can use real MOP and abalone on Korean guitars, why not Japanese Jacksons? I guess I could ask the same thing about Gibsons.
              sigpic

Comment

I agree with you Ryan.. I think that MOP should just be a given...
                but at least we can get ebony on an import for less than a grand...the ebony that is on the MIJ models i have is GOOD ebony...

instock inventory

Comment

Since most of the Jacksons I've owned were imports from the early 90's and USAs from the late 80's-early 90's, I can't really compare them beyond what's been said time and again about the early 90's imports.

However, on the Grover Jackson issue, I can say that I compared 3 of the same model side by side: Grover Jackson Roswell, Roswell Pro, and USA Roswell.
                  The Grover and Pro were identical in playability and build quality. The Grover's stock pickup (covered, with a GroverJackson logo) sounded better than the Duncan Designed in the Pro.
                  The USA, being made of aircraft aluminum and sporting a custom pickup, obviously had a totally different tone, and being USA made, the playability was noticeably better.
                  However, the acoustic properties detracted from that.

Comparing my NASL (200x, model-exclusive inlays, 24 frets, rosewood board) to an older USA SLS (1997, no inlays, 22 frets, rosewood board): The NASL is basically a 24 fret SLS - thin mahogany body, rosewood board (albeit with inlays and a trem), 2 hums, etc etc. Same body shape, though, as opposed to a standard Archtop Soloist.
                  There was something about the neck profile of the SLS I simply did not like - it felt too wide. If you've played a real Lynch ESP Kami or a Jackson DR2, it's kinda like that. Maybe it's the edges of the neck that are more squared then tapered like the NASL, but the SLS just wasn't as easy to work as the NASL.

As for the issue of inlay material on imports:
                  Yes, other companies can load their Korean and Japanese models up with abalone, MOP, and whatnot, but their wood and construction quality are not up to Jackson's. Jackson puts more into what truly matters - the wood and the build quality - than the cosmetics and hardware.
                  MOTO doesn't affect the tone any more than MOP does, and all that really matters is tone.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                  X