Fast necks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fast necks...

For me, the so called fast/magical neck is more about "feel" than anything else. I can play fast on thin and fat profile necks alike. Its what my hand is most comfortable with thats important to me. The fat boat like and thin profiles both cramps and tires out my hand rather quickly. I, "my hand" prefers somewhere in between. Not to fat nor to thin.

Yes, beyond a doubt and its absouletly true.
    The frets or fretjob of a neck is a big factor in the overall playbility of the neck. When the frets become worn and need replaced its money well spent to have a fret job done. It makes the guitar play so much better as it should.
    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

From a Production standpoint, nothing is slimmer than the Fusion and Stealth profiles...
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        One guy's fast is not another guy's fast. I have huge hands so bigger necks appeal to me like that on a Les Paul, some would find the bigger LP necks hard to play on but I love 'em. Then there are the pencil thin Ibanez necks that everyone loves but hurts my hands if I try to play because they are so thin.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree.
        I have very long fingers, so the thinner necks (i.e. Ibanez) actually cramp up my fingers. Thicker is better. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, I have long fingers and like thin necks. I guess it's matter of personal preference and what you're playing.
          My neck is .775 " at 3rd fret and .910 " at 12th. But that is how wide it is. How can I know from specifications how thick it is?

Comment

raw baseball pat necks are the best, somone should do a Babe Ruth signature neck.
            I hate Ibanez wizard necks, those are butter knives, I need something that I can really grap on and squeeze like woman's breast.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

i've only ever tried imports. the neck on my dxmg was thinner than that on my wrmg. at the mo i just have the wrmg, but my my next guitar will definitely be a dk-something. i think the superstrats tend to have thinner necks than the shaped guitars, certainly the warrior anyway.
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                My neck is .775 " at 3rd fret and .910 " at 12th. But that is how wide it is. How can I know from specifications how thick it is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually that is the neck thickness.... width would be how wide from one edge of the fretboard to the other.
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

and what is width then? (english is not my native language, i don't know if we understand good)

Comment

width would be from e to e.A dk1 is 750 and 810 at 3rd and 12th fret if that helps for comparison.And I think a soloist is 790 and 850.

Comment

That was just what I was saying. Thanx.

Then, how can I see thickness from guitar info(unless I play guitar of course)?

Comment

I love the feel of the thinner necks, which I play most of the time. However, the necks on my SLATQH and SG Supreme are thicker than my Charvels and other Jacksons. When I play those guitars, I don't think I am any faster, but I flub notes a lot less. The thicker necks must give a slightly different angle for my fingers so I can play more accurately.
                        Jackson: DK1
                        Charvel: CS (CSB), SD (RGF), SD (Bullseye), SD '83 (HRF)

Comment

This topic should have been called:

"Say what guitar you use and why you love the neck" lol

Comment

I like the neck thats on my ke3, it has a bit of big frets. I like that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

yeah, i'm all about a fat, Les Paul, type neck. and i like the feel of music man necks a lot.

Comment

I used to care until I stared practicing more and now I don't have as much preference as I used to. I still like thinner necks but the fat ones don't bother me much any more. I don't like weird shapes very much. I like the back of the necks to be symetrical.
                                http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X