mixing pickup brands.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mixing pickup brands.

Normally I use the same brand pickups in a milti pickup guitar but last night I put a DiMarzio HS-3 (from MODEL6LOVER)in the neck of my 88 USA dinky and a WCR/RS shredder in the bridge.Don't get me wrong the J90C and J200 kicked ass but the DiMarzio/WCR combo pushes this guitar over the top in the tone dept.
    Nice clear single coil snap and HUGE fat humbucker tone.
    The WCR/RS shredder is very versital, covers blues to metal.
    Nice open tone and when pushed it gets real creamy.Drive it hard it screams.No matter what you do to this pickup no mud at all.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Re: mixing pickup brands.

cool!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Good deal. I'm a Duncan man, myself. But it's always nice to hear someone finding the tone they're looking for.

Comment

Mixing and matching is good. My 7-string has a Duncan Custom in the bridge with a single coil DiMarzio Blaze in the neck. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That's cool that you found something that works!

I use Duncans in all three of my six-strings (three different bridge pup models, and 59 in the neck spots of both of my H/H configs) and that certainly works for me! Each Duncan bridge pickup I use has a unique attack and tone so it's a great way to mix things up..

Comment

I too love the 59 as a neck pickup as well as JB.The bridge for me is the distortion.The custom,custom5 are great in a 1hum guitar.
            I built an old school alder bodied strat hum single hum config and used a DiMarzio PAF in the neck a HS-3 in the middle and a super D in the bridge and am very happy with the tone.Each guitar is different.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I absolutely love the J90C / Rails (stock combo) in my Charvel Fusion Deluxe. Can't believe how great it sounds.

But one thing I think most people forget, is how the pickup works with the amp and guitar. I have guitars that sound like shit on one amp, but sound killer on another. Usually this is most noticable switching from tube to transistor.

Comment

I was going to try mixing a EMG bridge with a jazz Duncan but I dunno how bad that would mess things up, being diffirent pot sizes, but I would love to do that if it was possible lol

Comment

YOu can use passive pots w/ EMG, but you won´t have teh smooth taper in the response wnen teh EMGs are selected.

ALternatively, you can use an EMG pa-2 or similar on the passives to bring the Z down to the EMG level, and then use EMG post [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I generaly dont mix & match, but hey if it gives you the tone youre looking for then go for it.
                    KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                    I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      But one thing I think most people forget, is how the pickup works with the amp and guitar. I have guitars that sound like shit on one amp, but sound killer on another. Usually this is most noticable switching from tube to transistor.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      Very true. My Mesa F-30 hates my Fender Double Fat Strat with Duncan Pearly Gates Plus bridge and '59 neck... it sounds fuzzy. The guitar sounds normal through my THD Univale or old Marshall Valvestate or even my little Marshall Lead 15 mini stack, or the Fender RocPro 1000 head I used to own.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Whatever combinations sound good to your ears is all that really matters.

Its not like the "pickup police" are going to check underneath to see what the brands are and write you a citation for not using all the same brand in one guitar.

Feel free to mix & match. Your taste in pickups may change over time too.

Comment

eh, everytime I play my duncans they sound better and better.. so I think I'll stick with them for now..

Comment

i'm think of throwing a SH-6 duncan distortion pickup in the bridge position on my ibanez RG 42. i'm going to keep the neck pickup which is a IBZ INF1 pick up. I have no idea how they will sound or about how this sort of things work, so i hope u guys can help me out. any info would help me.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              eh, everytime I play my duncans they sound better and better.. so I think I'll stick with them for now..

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard you got a great deal on those Duncans and got them from a great guy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

Working...
                              X