Contributing to the board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contributing to the board

If a board member wanted to throw in a few bucks to the pool to keep the board up and running, how would a member do that? I understand a lot of the bills are paid privately, and there was some noise a few weeks ago about that and post removals and whatever. Just thinking out loud here, it might be worthwhile to look at getting a mechanism together where the regular membership could chip in 20 bucks or so each towards the upkeep and maintenence of the board and site. We do that on Jemsite, which is a little different situation admitedly. Lots of folks would chip in 20 bucks every 6 months or so, and the board would have flexibility if a given host situation went bad, as an example, or new software needed to be licensed or anything else.

Forgive me in advance if this is something that got discussed to the point of deleting threads (and shouting and screaming) in a recent past that I don't know about. I'm just looking, as others are, for a way to feel like I'm contributing a bit; for a way to feel like I'm helping the board stay in existence.

jim
    Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Re: Contributing to the board

I'd definatly be up for that. This is a great site with a lotta great info. $20 or so isn't a lot to ask, especially from the amount of people who post here on a normal basis, bills should be covered fairly easy

Comment

+1
      Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

I wouldn't object to it, I'd be glad to pay and help this forum, it's my main home on the web.

However, paying is not all ++, there's some cons as well, which I'm sure have been weighed and considered vs the pro's by Kevin, Sully, Tekky, Ralph,...
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Admins feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the idea is this...

The board is privately run and funded such that the administration can always do what it feels is right without having to worry about explaining itself to or pleasing some form of "paying customers" who might feel that their donation entitles them to a voice in decision-making.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Is there something I haven't seen that states that the board actually needs help? I'm not understanding where this is coming from.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

pssst, they're trying to be nice.... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

The board is privately run and funded such that the administration can always do what it feels is right without having to worry about explaining itself to or pleasing some form of "paying customers" who might feel that their donation entitles them to a voice in decision-making.

[/ QUOTE ]

without seeming like a "we'll do whatever we want and you can fuck yourself" kind of administration, yes, that is somewhat of a concern. there's been plenty of people who are no longer here that probably would use the "i paid to be here, i can do what i want" card. that's a headache in and of itself.

i do have to say though that our membership here has never been anything short of generous and big-hearted and i take this thread as another example of that.

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I'm all in for Contributiing But only if the Money go's for Taco's and Beer [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                  I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    pssst, they're trying to be nice.... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh.. Yeah...

Uhh, thanks dudes, but we're cool.
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

Donations= a sense of entitlement to some extent. We do greatly appreciate thoughts of the members and we do realize we have some very generous people on the board.

If you would like to help out then you could seriously take the donations and put them into charities in your own communities and such. This is such a tough time of year for some and that money could help greatly with Heat,Food or even a xmas gift or 2 for people who don't have the means to do it...

For the record.. our members kick ass..thanks for the offers .. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                      Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I love this place. Members, admins, You all rule!

Happy Holidays every one!
                        "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I love this place. Members, admins, You all rule!

Happy Holidays every one!

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">ditto!..........well uh...not every one.... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
                          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Another example of how this board is better than all the rest, cause they suck [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

up the jcf!
                            93 USA Soloist EDS
                            USA HT6 Juggernaut
                            Charvel DK24FR

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

without seeming like a "we'll do whatever we want and you can fuck yourself" kind of administration, yes, that is somewhat of a concern. there's been plenty of people who are no longer here that probably would use the "i paid to be here, i can do what i want" card. that's a headache in and of itself.

i do have to say though that our membership here has never been anything short of generous and big-hearted and i take this thread as another example of that.

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I didn't mean to say any of that in a negative way, just tried to explain it as clearly as I could. I'm totally happy with both the administration and the members here

Comment

Working...
                              X