Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who here likes bolt ons more than neck thrus and

Why?

I seem to have a lot of bolt ons. Great necks, ebony, MOP sharkies, etc.

But are neck thrus always better?

For example, I have a Kelly with a DK-1 neck on it. Should I sell it and get a KE-1 / KE-2 because they are neck thru?

Who here would dump all of there bolt ons for neck thrus?

Re: Who here likes bolt ons more than neck thrus and

Eh, it is just a matter of preference. I like set neck and neck thru. That's all I have at the moment.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I've got all three, don't seem to have any real preference.

And don't make me kill the idiot that comes here and says neck thru or set neck has more sustain than bolt-ons. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

set neck and neck through's have more sustain it feels like.
        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] @ the fruit bat
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

For years, I used to love neck-throughs more. But my early years of playing were all bolt-ons.

I definitely enjoy both. But, in the past few years, I find myself enjoying bolt-ons more again. Think I'm going back to my roots or something. It's a "feel" thing, and it's becoming more of a strong preference.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] @ the fruit bat

[/ QUOTE ]
              Tommy's first on the list. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I like 'em both. I'm as happy with a Soloist as I am with a Jem or a Telecaster. What I really love are great big hollow bodies with F holes, which are almost always set neck.
                Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Re: Who here likes bolt ons more than neck thrus a

OK I will be the first to stick my neck out here. I have had lots guitars - set neck, neck through and bolt on.

I keep going back to the bolt-ons. I have big fingers and long arms for my size and I think that is why I think they are more comfortable for me. I like the way the fingerboard is above the body on a bolt-on as opposed to even with the body as on a neck through. Personal preference I guess.

Neck throughs also sound darker to me. I find bolt-ons are brighter.
                  PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Well I have short fingers, so the neckthru seems to work better for me (model 6).

But I still love my wolfies! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

What I find strange is the "fad"? of stripping the neck on neck-thrus (like the recent purple custom SL2H's) and set necks (ala Zakk Wylde LP Customs).

I'd like to have an SL2H, but I'd have to sell 3 or 4 bolt-ons, and I just can't do it (they call it Fett Syndrom LOL!).

Comment

I've got all 3 and have no real preference either way.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

When I was a kid, I lusted after neck throughs and a pair of Jackson Vs is all that survived from the 80s. These days I mostly play bolt-ons and a LP rarely (like tonight). I have a soloist that does a lot of sitting these days and just sold an ESP neckthru.

I think I like the way an unfinishe bolt-on neck feels and it is simple as that. I can also say that I have had better luck with bolt-ons staying stable in the crazy Northeast in that I seem to be able to fix and tweek them myself without any problems. My experirnce with Neckthrus and Set necks guitars has been that if the neck really wrap, I need to pay for a pro set up to fix them. I do not have an explanation as to why this has been the case.
                          "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I like neck thru's because they sound fatter to me. And the feeling they give is also much better for me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                            Check my bands!
                            www.myspace.com/magicktr
                            www.myspace.com/sinif64
                            www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

All 3, no preference but my custom is a bolt on and I have no regrets at all so I think that says it all. A Bolt on with a sculpted heel and horn has the same access as a neck thru and design wise I think the sustain is the same if its made well. A import neck thru might have more sustain than an import bolt on but when you get into quality made guitars, it doesn't matter. Also with a bolt on on the off chance something happened to the neck I could replace the neck without needing to replace the whole guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X