This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Strings on a Floyd.

Does anyone still have that page from the old site about how to change strings on a floyd. It was a great guide and if any of you still have it could you please send it to me at [email protected]

thanks.

Re: Changing Strings on a Floyd.

Help...someone...please?

Comment

Looks strangely like the old Jackson one... Hehe..

http://clevelandmetalzone.com/JWGuit...oyd_howto.html

Comment

Hey, I don't have that page, but what I do to not go insane is:

Slide a thin yet strong metal item under the Floyd so it can't sink down into the recess (I use a razor knife of the kind that have a thin metal sleeve that covers
        the razorblade when not in use; it's about 1/8" thick, and a bit longer than the Floyd recess route is wide, so it holds the Floyd up). I stick a piece of cloth around the razorknife so it doesn't scratch the finish.

Then I unscrew the saddle lock blocks, pull all the strings off, clean the body and neck/fretboard, put new strings on, lock the saddle blocks back, tune it up and stretch the living h*ll out of them until they're staying in tune. Only THEN
        do I drop the bar enough that I can pull the flat razorknife out from under the bridge. The trem springs again having an
        influence will pull the strings somewhat out of tune, but you won't sit there for 30 minutes trying to get the damn thing to tune like you otherwise would.

A couple of credit cards stacked might be enough to hold the bridge in place, but I've not tried that, so be careful if you try it!

Oh yeah, make sure you have your finetuners set in the middle of their adjustment range when you tune the guitar. That way, after you've stretched the strings and locked the nut lock, you can adjust sharp or flat for any tuning
        inaccuracies.

I hope this helps; most of the other guys
        explain this better than I do, but I THINK I covered the important stuff.

Lerxst
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Thanks a million guys.

Comment

Hey cleve thanks for that link man [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

John, strangely, that does look quite a bit like the old Jackson one! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Funny, about using the fine tuner to drop d... I've gotten so good at doing that, I can drop d or go back to standard tuning in about or less than a minute... I more or less know where all my fine tuners need to be, so I just loosen /tigthten them all to roughly where they're supposed to be, and then do the final tuning with my DTR1.

And, It takes me about the same amount of time it would to put the guitar down, switch, plug in a new guitar and check to make sure it's in tune...

Back to the subject, that's cool that page is still alive. :grin:
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

After following the guide and changing strings, the floyd is pulling up from the body a bit. In that guide it says to tighten the spring screws which i did and this did not help. Can someone help me?

Comment

Tighten the spring claw screws a little more and then retune again, repeat until it's level with the body. If it still doesn't work and the screws are in as far as they can go, then add another spring. Then you'll most likely have to back the claw screws out since the trem will be now dropped back into the cavity.
                  I assume you have three springs in already? I have guitars with 3, 4 or 5 springs and never had a problem. Though, extra springs do require a little more effort to push down on the bar.

[ February 19, 2003, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                  X