Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who else prefers Floyds??

[ QUOTE ]
    All the "cool" stuff you can do with your fingers, like vibrato and bends and such.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about adding a vibrato to full chords, making pitched drops within riffs and melodies, making notes "fading in" from "nowhere dive" etc... [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
    Because I don't say it
    Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

what about making some music... [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        All the "cool" stuff you can do with your fingers, like vibrato and bends and such.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about adding a vibrato to full chords, making pitched drops within riffs and melodies, making notes "fading in" from "nowhere dive" etc... [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean you can't shake full chords?

The other things you mentioned fall under the "tricks" category. I meant musically-relevant (if you can possibly imagine for a moment that wanking is not "music") [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Most of my guitars have Floyds. My favorite bridge style is the Fender-style string-thru hardtail as found on a couple of humbucker-equipped Telecasters, as well as the Jackson JDX-94 Concept and a couple of Schecters; the current SLS has a bridge that's functionally the same, although the construction is slightly different.

Floyds come in second, because I liked that added mass under my picking hand for muting, as well as the fine tuning capability. I find TOM's to be extremely uncomfortable, and the way I play, the TOM saddles chew up the edge of my right hand. It's really a shame, because I've had some TOM-equipped guitars that I really liked, but ultimately couldn't stand to play.
          sigpic

Comment

I love Floyd's. All of my guitars have either an OFR or Schaller. I favor the OFR, although I've found nothing wrong with the Schallers.

I am concerned about a purchase I'm about to make on a new guitar. It's the DKMG that strings through the body. I've never had a non-trem guitar, well, I did buy a Les Paul Custom last year, but never really played it before I sent that turd back. So I don't know if how I'm going to get along without a floyd.

I'm really wanting to go with a non-trem on one guitar simply because I want to tune to different keys more quickly without the extra floyd setup.
            Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I meant musically-relevant (if you can possibly imagine for a moment that wanking is not "music") [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is totally musically relevant if used with taste. Listen to Van Halen's Good Enough, EVH makes drop within the riff and it adds some vowel/growl quality to it. In ain't more irrelevant than bends. Just more nice options to phrasing. hough it requires some time an effort to learn how to use it. My teacher guided me through the number of songs where FR was used in a very musical way and right on the spot. Everything can turn into "wanking device" if abused brainlessly - pinch harmonics, tap, sweep, wah etc...
              Because I don't say it

Comment

Notice the [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] there? I was kidding - dope [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Though I rarely use the bar, whenever I grab a non-Floyded guitar, I want to do whammy-wanking on it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The same thing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                  I really don't use FR that much, may betwice per song in average, ebut I miss it when I play the guitar without FR.
                  Because I don't say it

Comment

I don't like them at all. Kahlers have much better feel.

Comment

Almost all my guitars have OFR or Schaller trems. I only have a few hard tails. I love my Floyds, I am not use to the Low-Pro stuff tho. I have been using Floyds for so long I don't see them as extra work. Once you have set it up they are a breeze.
                      Just one more guitar!

Comment

After starting out on hard tails all my guitars are now Floyds. Although I don't really do all the tricks with them I love the sound of a dive bomb and that is what I usually use it for.

I have read Floyds have better sustain than most due to the materials they use for the anchor bolts and the fact that the springs are suppose to be 25% stiffer than competitors products.
                        PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

When you feel trapped when playing a fixed bridge guitar, you know you are a whammy addict. There's gotta be a good sniglet for what happens when a whammy user reaches for the non-existent bar when playing on a fixed bridge axe. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                          That being said, I am not about to give up any of my 3 fixed bridge guitars. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I orefer Floyded guitars, but will play a guitar w/ any type of bridge on it.
                            The pluses for me on the floyds is tuning stability & the fine tuning adjustment.
                            I have not noticed a big difference if any between a Floyded guitar and other types of bridges.
                            I happen to like the tone of guitars w/ Floyds (they dont sound thin & tinny to me).
                            KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                            I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

I love the original floyds. Nothing plays like a guitar with a floyd on it. All my guitars have floyds on them. I tried guitars without them, but they just don't play the same or even feel the same.

Comment

They have their place, which is most places. The Telecaster is not one of them, nor would I want one. Same with an LP.
                                ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Working...
                                X