dinky w/maple top on basswood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dinky w/maple top on basswood

maple neck bolt on basswood body with maple top seems to be very popular at musicman, tom anderson and suhr,...made popular by EVH, of course.
    does jackson have it as an option on dinky? is the new charvel EVH made like that?
    how does it sound compared to regular dinky with alder body?

Re: dinky w/maple top on basswood

Not sure what current models are built with basswood, but it was common on many of the Japanese guitars in the `90s. A lot of people don't like basswood, but it's capable of getting a great tone with the right pickup. I have several basswood Jacksons, and pickups that I didn't like in alder or ash sound really good in basswood. I find it a little warmer than alder, with less prominent treble.
    sigpic

Comment

apparently, a maple top on basswood, (not verneer) makes a better guitar body. it makes the top end more focused. that's why musicman's axis and peavey's EVH all have a maple top.
      ps,
      the downside with jackson in fender is the business is more disciplined. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] no leaks, what-so-ever [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

what pups do you like with basswood. i have 2 basswood bodies, and all i've ever had in them was emg 81's.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

SD Custom Custom (SH-11) sounds great in a basswood body guitar.
          So does a DiMarzio super distortion.
          -Rick

Comment

I've had good results with the Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon for a warm tone and a DiMarzio Steve's Special for the higer output stuff. The Duncan JB is somewhere in the middle. In comparison, I thought the JB was too bright in alder, and the Demon generally bad in ash. I now own four basswood Jacksons, one each with the Screamin' Demon and Steve's Special, and two with the JB.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X