carved tops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carved tops

what advantages does a carved top body have over a conventional/flat one, or is it just a 'good-look'? i'm trying to justify buying a dkmgff instead of a dk2ff.
    ----------------
    "Oh i get it. you think by screaming and shouting abuse at me, i'll suddenly change my answer? fuck off and get a job".
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Re: carved tops

Cosmetics and a slightly different neck angle.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

how slight? my ex-dxmg had a thicker neck than my wrmg, but i don't remember any angle difference. would there also be a sound difference between a carved and flat top?
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I do not believe the lack of a pickguard (i.e Carved Top) neccesitates a different neck angle.
        I believe the neck angle is required when you have a surface mounted trem, like a floyd and you need to raise the heel of the neck to even out a little more the string height at the higher frets vs. the lower frets.

Many manufacturers prefer craved tops, less a pickguard to show off a nice transparent top (think PRS) and it makes sense. Why would you select some AAA piece of beautiful bookmatched Maple, finish it to a T and then put a piece white, black or whatever plastic to cover 40% of the surface area?
        Not to mention you have to keep your cavity routing and finishing really neat if you are not covering it up.
        Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

oops, i meant to say the wrmg has the thicker neck...

pickguard? a dkmg doesn't have a pickguard. it does have a carved top body. my query was whether i should expect a difference in tone between a guitar body with a flat surface (dXmg) and a body that has a carved top (dKmg). i'm not doing any modifications to the dkmg (not yet anyway).
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

If the materials and construction are all the same save for a flat vs. carved top, there should be no differences in tone at all. The carved top offers a cosmetic and "feel" difference from a flat top.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Cosmetics and a slightly different neck angle.

[/ QUOTE ]
              Typically, if there's a TOM bridge or non-recessed Floyd, the neck angle will be tilted back more, doesn't matter whether there's an arched top or not.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I do not believe the lack of a pickguard (i.e Carved Top) neccesitates a different neck angle.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Lack of a pickguard = Back routed

A carved top is a solid piece of wood carved into an arch such as on an LP or Paulbag´s Demon. Completely different thing.

But the carved to itself has nothing to d w/ neck angle, that´s correct.... But as many carved top guitars have a TOM or similar hardtail that DO necessitate the larger angle, it´s easy to see where that Impression comes from [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

i recently saw a gorgeous dkmgt in trans red. dammit, i thought i'd fallen in love. then i saw that gopping fixed bridge with string holes on the body. [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] i see what you mean about the angle requirement. just as well i insist on trems.
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

The GCDK 3x3 neck I had on that JS30WR body came from an arched/carved top DK (carved in this instance being the same as arched, as opposed to meaning it has a forearm "carve") and the neck angle between the original WR neck and that neck was very different - the bridge had to be raised to almost out of the slots and the bridge pickup was raised about 1/2" or more over the ring.
                    Both bodies were TOM'd.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      If the materials and construction are all the same save for a flat vs. carved top, there should be no differences in tone at all. The carved top offers a cosmetic and "feel" difference from a flat top.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      I dunno that I'd agree. For two reasons. The first is that the thickness of the body can affect the sound. Also a flat top with a trans top and a carve top with a trans top you will (probably) get a thicker wood to accomodate the carve. Most carve tops are 3/4 and not 1/8 or veneer. And that can make quite a tonal difference especially if the body is a wood like mahogany. I'd argue there is definitely more tonal balance in a mahogany/maple flat top then a mahogany maple carve top because the additional thickness of the top balances out the thicker sound of the mahogany. But all those very minor sonic differences aside (and they are very minor at best) its mostly a look thing. I think a carve top just looks sleeker and especially with a figured top. Unless your looking for the old school bent top with binding, I'd say an archtop just seems a better fit for a figured top.

Comment

Carved tops serve the same purpose as big tits, they're ornamental.
                        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

you've just given me an idea. question is, who would be brave enough to paint the tits on the dkmg?
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

The arch top of my Death Angel is the most comfortable picking surface I've ever played on [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                            Hear the universe scream
                            Bleeding from black holes
                            Whom horns careless
                            And whom God mourns

Comment

On an arch top where the control knobs are recessed a bit into the top, there is more space for my picking hand. On flat top guitars, I will often hit the volume knob while playing, and accidentally roll off volume - especially with a recessed trem.

Visually, I think an archtop looks better than a flat top with all types of finishes, except maybe for graphics. A pearl finish in particular is gorgeous on an archtop.

Comment

Working...
                              X