Swapping the locking nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping the locking nut

I just got myself a Charvel model 3 guitar, but it has no trem. So i figured i'd put an original floyd rose in there. I've measured, and the Floyd'll just glide right in. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] The only thing different i noticed, is the locking nut.

The locking nut on this guitar is not like the standard Floyd Rose nuts I've seen. I probably could use it with the Floyd Rose i plan to get, but i figured it would be nice to install the locking nut that goes with it. Is it possible to do this? I realize i have to route out some wood (i think?) [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I have no experience with this kind of modifications, so any help would be appreciated [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Swapping the locking nut

I would personally take it to a pro to make that sort of modification. Here's what the mod looks like on my Model 6:

This particular nut was mounted with screws from the back as you can see. I'd guess that the current nuts are all front mounted(?).

Comment

Yeah, they're front mounted. How much would it cost me to have a pro do that for me? I don't wanna spend loads of money on getting the locking nut changed on this guitar, you know? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I'd just leave the current JT-6 locking nut in place: They're not ideal, but they're not that bad either, so the cost of the work probably isn't justified on a model 3.....
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Yeah, i was starting to think about the same thing... I mean, the guitar is low-end, so it really isn't worth using to much money on it. Besides, the nut is working perfectly, i was just thinking about it for chosmetical reasons. Thanks for the help guys! BTW, it looks to me like the pickup-bezel is a bit bigger than the "standard" size? I've heard that the jackson-bezels are bigger, is this right? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

yes.
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The behind the nut locks are fine.I wouldn't call a model 3 low end at all, they are fine guitars.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I've heard that the jackson-bezels are bigger, is this right? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Our very own budman makes a line of replacement bezels for model series Charvels and mid/late 80's Jacksons which have the same inner dimensions as a normal sized pickup which make things look alot tidier if you decide to change the pickup.....

Comment

Another note.IMO don't drill the neck to mount the floyd nut. If you go that route top mount.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Man I love this place [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I have been thinking about changing the pickup, but that depends on how the humbucker in it now sounds. Has anyone had any experience with these kind of pickups? (I'm sure some of you have [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) It would be nice knowing what it sounds like, because I will most likely order the pickup at the same time as the floyd if I decide to change it. [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Sounds are very subjective, but for what it's worth I don't like the stock pickups from the model series Charvels....

Comment

Does anybody know how to post in the tech section any more?? [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Tommy, make sure you take it to a very reputable pro. Also make sure if he screws it up he's responisble for replacing the guitar.

I had a so called tech that was supposed to be one of the best in my city make a rather simple mod on one of my guitars, which was a new bridge and nut and his mesurments were off to the point where the guitar was unplayable after that.
                          Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

Oh, my bad [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] I figured, since it's a Charvel guitar, well.... Er... Now that you say it, I realize that it belongs in the tech section [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

Comment

Doesn´t look like it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X