Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• identifying model - help please

Hi all,

I bought a Charvel back in 1990 and I want to know what model it is, and any history around it. Can you help?

It is a neck thru with pointed headstock, says Charvel on the headstock in the larger script letters. The guitar has a flame maple top, black hardware, two EMG humbuckers on it. The back of the guitar and neck is a dark red/maroon color.
    It is heavy as hell. The serial # is C904147 and is located at the end of the fretboard. It has a rosewood fingerboard and ebony "shark" inlays, and 24 frets.
    The only thing I know about it, it is an
    "archtop". I've searched and I haven't found another guitar like it - some have similar features but I've never spotted an exact copy.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

P

Re: identifying model - help please

sounds like a 750XL to me. but i'm no expert. are the sharkfins reversed? do you have a pic of it? if i'm wrong, the guys here will be able to id it. hope this helps.

Garry

Comment

[img]graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]

Those are mop sharktooths? Sounds like a 750Xl if it has a flamed archtop. (s it Cherry Sunburst? Did you buy it used? Does it have a floyd?

Just like your kid huh????

Comment

750xl is only 22 fret, I'm pretty sure.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Well I just looked at mine again.. 24. The pic in the Charvel Import section.. 24.

[ February 11, 2003, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

thanks for the info guys. yeah, I'm not sure which way the inlays are supposed to go normally, but the fat part is on the right side of the neck and the thin part is on the left (looking at the guitar straight on). So I think they are reversed. It could be cherry sunburst, it's basically orange and maroon with wood grain showing thru. And yep it's got a Floyd with black hardware. And definitely 24 frets (actually 25 but the 25th doesn't seem playable but it's technically still a "fret" it's just extremely small)

I bought it new in '90, and when grunge came along and killed hockey stick necks I put it in the case two years later, and aside from getting it set up once a year and changing strings, it's been in there ever since. It's in mint condition no nicks or dings or scuffs, nothing.

I'm looking to sell it. Would you guys happen to know what a going rate for this guitar would be? If it hasn't retained any value I'll hang on to it. I paid $1000 for it back in '90, new.

Thanks again

Comment

In any market it really varies.. it's all based upon the lunar cycles really (jk)

Unfortunately, you paid the high buck when it was demanding those prices.. two-three years later, you probably could pick it up for half that.
              They seem to be selling typically in the neighborhood of 400.00.. as low as 350.00, as high as 450.00.. if it's like a string thru mint.. maybe 500.00+

Comment

If anyone's interested, I posted it in the classifieds section w/links to pix. Thanks....

Comment

Working...
                X