Jackson J-50 vs J-80 vs J85, J-90,J-95

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson J-50 vs J-80 vs J85, J-90,J-95

If anyone could compare and contrast the tonal color and output variations of these pickups, please help me out. I have a 1990 USA Fusion which originally came with Jackson PUPS. These were removed by a previous owner. I am trying to score a used Jackson bridge HB to restore the guitar back close to original specs. I have already got hold of two J-200's for the neck and middle positions and now only need a bridge humbucker. The old Mother of all Info Pages specifies a J-50BC in the bridge position, but I would consider any of the above based on feedback from this forum. I trust your opinions!

Rick

Re: Jackson J-50 vs J-80 vs J85, J-90,J-95

I can only comment on the the J90C

Standard pickup on the Charvel Model2 and Model3.

It is a fairly hi output pickup, similar to the Duncan Distortion I'd say. (but thinner)

It has alot of high end, perhaps too much as some have described it as "harsh, or shrill"

It does lack a bit of bottom end "oomph".

I for one like it, I'm able to eq enough bass response for my tastes. It also has great clarity, very crisp and will cut through a mix, I find it makes a nice early 80's lead type sound.

A small tip: Take the plastic cover off for a surprising amount of extra saturation.

Just my thoughts.

Comment

I pulled a J-95 out of a Model 88 and replaced it with a Super Distortion. The pickup sounded somewhat weak and muddy, but after removing the cover I discovered that it had an excess amount of adhesive which covered all but two of the pole pieces. I'll be testing it this weekend (without the cover) in a DX10D and will post the results.

Comment

I always thought the J-90/J-90C sounded very similar to a Duncan JB. Of course the description above hits the negatives of what I don't like about the JB, so maybe it's just me. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Btw, I have a J90C if anyone wants it.

Ross

Comment

My personal feelings, all of the Jackson hums are good if you remove the plastic cover. They also fit a standard hum ring with the cover removed.

Comment

The J50c and the J95 are my two favorite Jackson pickups, and that's with the covers on, and I like them better than EMGs... though I've really been diggin my SD JB's lately, those two Jackson pickups are right up there with the best of them, IMO. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I have a J50B in an ´88 Soloist, and it sounded really good! After some A/B-testing, however, I replaced it with a SD Screamin´Demon I had pulled from a guitar I sold away. The Jackson was a great pickup in its own terms, and will probably see some action further along the line, but the SD sounded absolutely killer in that guitar with the active midboost.

Comment

As said above, removing the pickup covers and moving the Jackson pickups closer to the strings makes a world of difference. The J-80C without a cover sounds just like a Duncan JB to me.

Comment

Xenophobe:

How would you compare the differences between the J-50 and J-95? What is the relative output? Is the J-50 more of a medium output Les Paul type PUP and the J-95 is a hotter model? Which one was more expensive brand new? I know the J-50's used to come in Model 6's and Soloists. What did the J-95 come in? Sorry for all the questions, but I have an opportunity to get either one or the other of these and I am trying to make a decision.
                  Thanks

Comment

The J-50 is a very mild pickup, often used with boosted/added active electronics such as in the Model 6 and USA Soloist's.

The J-80C is next in line, more like a Duncan JB.

The J-95C is next, just a tad hotter, not much.

The J-90C is the hottest pickup and I've seen huge differences in their sounds depending on whether they came in an 80's USA Jackson or a import.

Comment

Greg nailed that pretty well... there are some tonal differences as well, but you'd really have to hear them for yourself, cause that's so subjective.

But, My strathead Jackson has a J50c in the bridge that is just the hottest Jackson pickup I've ever played, much more so than any of the other J50c's from the Era... I think it may have been a custom wind or something. :S

Comment

To restore it back to its orignal spec's. i THINK you would have to put a JE1200 Active Midboost in it. I say this only because those pickups (J-200's and J-50BC) were USUALLY used with those pickup's.

-john

Comment

I have a J90 in my Charvel and its a great rock pickup. It's clear and crisp and leads sing out of it. I agree with someones earlier comment that it lacks a little in the bottom end. Then again it's in a Asswood guitar, which I think makes a thin sound in the first place. For a pickup found stock in an inexpensive import guitar its excellent. I would like to have a pickup that sounds like this with just more bottom end. I think I asked this question before and Chuckracer said get a Duncan Custom. Haven't done it yet. Always something to buy.

Comment

John was close about the pre-amp. The guitar still actually has the original J-1000 pre-amp installed. It is a wah-wah circuit, though I am not sure why anyone would want a wah-wah circuit controlled by a tone pot. It seems to me that anything you could do with this circuit could be done easier and with more control with a floor wah. If anyone has any thoughts as to what the original rational for this thing was, please let me know. Thanks for all the info on the pickups. I stated earlie that the old Mother of all info pages indicated a J-50BC in the bridge for a 1990 USA Fusion, but at least one person from this forum disagreed. I believe he said he had an old brochure which specified a J-80. Do any of you have opinions on this.

Rick

Comment

Well, usually the imports were to proper spec, but ocassionally they would have different pickups, or configurations, and it seems that during the transition from guitar logo to script, this was a common occurrance, though the number of actual guitars that came out like this were really limited in numbers.

As for your specific question about the Fusion, I'm not sure.

As for the J50c, my custom '87 came with one, but no active preamp.

Comment

Working...
                              X