One of my frets is dented

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of my frets is dented

I noticed the other day when I was putting lemon oil on my fretboard that my 18th fret has a dent on the side of it right next to my high E string. It still seems to play alright but knowing that it is dented bothers me. How much would this cost to get fixed and can this cause any problems like cutting the note off?

Re: One of my frets is dented

If it plays allright and you don't feel it or notice it while playing, then I wouldn't worry about it that much. If it really bothers you just knowing that it is there, then I don't think it would cost you very much to have a qualified repair person file it out for you. $20 or less to repair one fret wire I would imagine.

Any idea how the dent got there ?

[ February 14, 2003, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: Wendell ]

Comment

You will never notice it harmonicly it just a feel thing as long as the string isn't contacting the fret board when you fret it and play with your normal pic action it will have the same sustain. If itsn't to bad you can have it recrowned up here it's $80.00 for a complete neck recrown. If it is realy bad you can have the fret wire replaced up here it would be around $25.00

Hope this helps

BB

Comment

thanks for the replies. the only thing i can think of at all of how the dent would get there would be when i finger tap on that fret, even then though i dont think that should cause a dent in it.

Comment

That's generally caused when an object or hard surface comes into contact with the string, and hits the string onto the fret. Frets are softer than the strings, so they give way.

If you don't notice it while playing, don't even worry about it.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Yeah I agree with xenophobe if it aint broke don't fix it [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

BB

Comment

I think your guitar is ruined. You'd better send it to me right away.
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I think your guitar is ruined. You'd better send it to me right away
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">HA !

Comment

Working...
                X